ALBION, Mich. – The Olivet College men's lacrosse team saw its season come to end with a 9-6 loss to Albion College in the 2017 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) semifinals this evening at Alumni Field inside the Davis Athletic Complex in Albion.
Final Score: Albion 9, Olivet 6
Location: Alumni Field; Albion, Mich.
Records: Olivet 7-7 overall, Albion 14-3 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At the end of the first quarter, the Comets led 2-1 behind goals by seniors Logan Krieger and Tyler Polendo.
- Sophomore Zach Sanders added a goal with 9:15 left in the second quarter to go up 3-1.
- The Britons ended the quarter on a 5-0 run take a 6-3 halftime lead.
- Albion scored a goal 30 seconds into the third quarter for a 7-3 advantage.
- Freshman Trevor Bailey cut Olivet's deficit to three points, 7-4, on an unassisted goal at the 10:23 mark.
- Senior Nino Minaudo netted a goal to make the score 7-5.
- The Britons scored the final goal of the third quarter to gain an 8-5 lead into the fourth quarter.
- Both teams scored a goal in the final quarter of play.
FOR THE COMETS
- Polendo finished the game with a team-best two goals and 10 shots.
- Bailey, Krieger, Minaudo and Sanders each had a goal.
- Minaudo also collected an assist for two total points.
- Junior Cullen Haesler caused a team-leading three turnovers, while he and older brother Charlie Haesler each registered six ground balls.
- Senior Drew Radners made 17 saves in the cage.
FOR THE BRITONS
- Zach Hubbell topped Albion with three goals.
- John Cooke and Alec Palmer had two goals apiece, while Nicolas Bowman and Jacob Swift each had one.
- Brandon Lebioda recorded a game-best 12 shots.
- Kyle DeCamp won 16 face-offs and scooped-up 12 ground balls.
- Trevor McManus notched 12 saves in the cage.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Minaudo ends his four-year career in a Comet uniform with 209 points, the second-most by any player in school history. His 89 career assists is the all-time record.
- Charlie Haesler finishes his career as the all-time leader with 142 caused turnovers and 305 ground balls.
- Other final career point totals are Krieger, 123; Polendo, 135; and Shane Prunty, 43.