OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team lost in four sets to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Trine (Ind.) University this evening at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Trine (Ind.) def. Olivet 25-23, 21-25, 25-19, 25-21
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Olivet 11-4 overall, 1-1 MIAA; Trine 10-5 overall, 2-0 MIAA
- The Thunder led by a 6-4 score in the first set. Backed by the service of senior Morgan Schneider, the Comets went on a 7-0 run to take an 11-6 lead. Trine put six of the next seven points on the scoreboard to tie the set at 12-12. Olivet then built a two-point lead three times, with the last time being 19-17. From there, the Thunder used a 5-1 run to go up 22-20. The Comets fought back and leveled the score twice at 22-22 and 23-23. Two Trine kills ended the set in its favor.
- The Thunder built a four-point cushion, 11-7, early in the second set. Olivet answered with four straight points to tie the set at 11-11. The teams traded points until a 4-0 Trine scoring spurt put the Thunder up 16-12. The Comets responded with a 7-2 run to go up 19-18. Trine tied the score before a kill by junior Laken Groll gave Olivet the lead, and it did not relinquish the lead for the rest of the set.
- The Thunder had a wire-to-wire lead in the third set.
- Early in the fourth set, Trine led by three points on three occasions. After the last time at 11-8, the Comets went on a 5-1 run to take their first lead. The Thunder countered with five consecutive points and did not give up the lead for the rest of the set.
- For the match, Olivet recorded 41 kills.
- Groll led the way with 11 kills.
- Senior Morgan Champion, junior Audrey Lama and freshman Ellie Louiselle each finished with seven kills.
- Lama tallied four blocks (one solo and three assisted).
- Senior Madelyn Notenbaum dished out 34 set assists.
- Senior Gabrielle Mundt led the defense with a match-best 19 digs.
- Madison Munger collected 22 of the 48 Trine kills.
- Breanna Small and Sarah Toles had seven kills apiece.
- Jacqueline Baughman registered 42 set assists.
- Lindsey DeCamp collected a team-high 14 digs.
- Olivet travels to play Albion College next Wednesday, Oct. 2 at 6:30 p.m.