ALBION, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team rallied from down one set to beat Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) University in four sets tonight in a neutral-site match inside Albion College's Kresge Gymnasium.
Final Score: 20-25, 25-17, 25-19, 25-18
Location: Kresge Gymnasium; Albion, Michigan
Records: Olivet 9-3 overall, Mount St. Joseph 8-4 overall
- In the first set, Olivet led 11-7. The Lions scored the next four points to level the score at 11-11. The Comets took the lead back on a service error until another 4-0 run by Mount St. Joseph made the score 15-12. Olivet closed the gap to a single points, 15-14. From there, the Lions went on a 5-0 run and never looked back in winning the set 25-20.
- The Comets raced out to a 5-2 lead in the second set until Mount St. Joseph stormed back to take a 9-8 lead. A 5-0 Olivet scoring spurt put Olivet back on top. The Comets did not relinquish their advantage for the remainder of the set, winning it 25-17.
- The start of the third set was back-and-forth, with three tied scores. After the last one at 7-7, Olivet put 10 of the next 13 points on the scoreboard to go ahead 17-10. The Lions trimmed their deficit to two points, 20-18, before a 5-1 run Comet run ended the set.
- Mount St. Joseph led 7-2 in the fourth set, forcing Olivet to call a timeout. Following the TO, the Comets went on an 8-1 run to take a 10-8 lead. That run made the Lions use a timeout. Mount St. Joseph scored the three of the next points to regain the lead, 13-11. Behind the service of sophomore Drue Mullin, Olivet used another 5-0 spurt to surge ahead 16-13 and make the Lions call their final timeout. The Comets did not give up the lead for the rest of the set.
- Olivet finished the match with a .158 attack percentage and 54 kills compared to .082 attack percentage and 40 kills for the Lions.
- Three players reached double digits in kills, led by senior Morgan Champion's 17.
- Freshman Ellie Louiselle and junior Laken Groll had 14 and 12 kills, respectively. Louiselle hit at a team-best .286 clip, while Groll hit at .226. Each also had four blocks – four assisted for Louiselle, and one solo and three assisted for Groll.
- Senior Madelyn Notenbaum dished out a match-best 43 set assists.
- Four players surpassed double figures in digs, led by junior Mia Parker's match-best 24. Senior Gabrielle Mundt tallied 22, followed by Notenbaum (20) and Mullin (17).
- Brooke Aselage was the only player to have double digit kills with 18. Julie Sucher was next with seven.
- Sam Buschur collected 36 set assists.
- Riley Gintert topped the defense with 22 digs.
- Olivet hosts Franklin (Ind.) College tomorrow for its first home match of the 2019 season. First serve at The Cutler Event Center is approximately 1 p.m. Preceding the match, Franklin will play Albion and that match starts at 11 a.m.