DIAMONDALE, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team defeated Oberlin (Ohio) College in four sets on the opening night of competition at the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA)-North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Crossover at the Aim High Sports Complex in Dimondale. The Comets won by scores of 25-12, 23-25, 25-13, 25-21.
Final Score: Olivet defeated Oberlin 25-12, 23-25, 25-13, 25-21
Location: Aim High Sports Complex; Diamondale, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-0 overall, Oberlin 3-2 overall
- The Comets scored the first six points of the first set and never relinquished the lead. Olivet's largest lead in the set was 13 points at 23-10 and 25-12.
- The teams traded 3-0 runs to start the second set. Following a 5-5 tie, the Yeowomen scored the next two points and held an advantage until the Comets used a late 4-0 run to level the score at 23-23. Two Olivet attack errors handed the set to Oberlin.
- The start of the third set was back-and-forth, with neither team leading by more than two points. The Comets then used a 7-0 run to turn an 8-7 deficit into a 14-8 lead. Olivet held the advantage for the rest of the set.
- After the Yeowomen led 1-0 in the fourth set, the Comets put four straight points on the scoreboard to go up 4-1. Olivet extended its lead to as many as six points, 18-12. Oberlin rallied to cut its deficit down to a single point on three occasions, with the last time being 21-20. The Comets ended the set on a 4-1 run.
- For the match, Olivet posted a .173 attack percentage compared to a .080 percentage for Oberlin. The Comets also served nine more aces, 12-3.
- Senior Brittney Prince topped the front row with 11 kills.
- Junior Laken Groll registered 10 kills, with one error on 23 attempts for a match-best .391 hitting percentage. She also had five aces and four blocks.
- Senior Madelyn Notenbaum finished with a match-high 31 set assists to go along with 12 digs and four aces.
- Senior Gabrielle Mundt led the back row with 24 digs.
- Natasha Radic recorded a team-best 11 kills.
- Samantha Lam dished out 23 set assists.
- Zoe Kuzbari collected 16 digs.
- Tomorrow at the MIAA-NCAC Crossover, Olivet faces College of Wooster (Ohio) at 12 p.m., and Allegheny (Pa.) College at approximately 2 p.m.