ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team dropped a three-set match to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Adrian College tonight sets at the Merillat Center in Adrian.
Final Score: Adrian def. Olivet 25-16, 25-23, 25-22
Location: Merillat Center; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 13-15 overall, 4-11 MIAA; Adrian 15-12, 9-6 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs held a pair of eight-point leads, 10-2 and 11-3, in the first set. The Comets fought back to trim their deficit in half, 20-16. Adrian scored the final five points of the set to win it, 25-16.
- The Comets led by two, 12-10, in the second set before the Bulldogs went on an 8-0 run to go up 18-12. Adrian had another six-point cushion, 22-16, until Olivet went on a 5-0 scoring spurt to cut its deficit to one, 22-21. The Bulldogs responded with two points to take a 24-22 lead. The Comets answered with its own 2-0 run to make the score 24-23. An Adrian point ended the set, 25-23.
- The Bulldogs scored the first four points of the third set and eventually led by five points on three occasions, with the last time being 11-6. Olivet put the next five points on the scoreboard to level the score at 11-11. The teams traded points, causing six more tied scores. The final deadlock was at 17-17. Adrian scored the next two points to gain a 19-17 lead, which it did not relinquish for the rest of the set.
FOR THE COMETS
- Junior Allison Turner slammed down 14 of the 37 Olivet kills.
- Freshman Madelyn Notenbaum was one kill shy of triple double, as she had nine kills and a team-best 19 set assists and shared the team lead with 11 digs.
- Freshmen Brittney Prince was next with eight kills and hit at a .389 clip.
- Prince and junior Courtney Cronkright each had three assisted blocks.
- Cronkright also recorded 11 digs.
- Senior Danielle Bearden collected 14 set assists.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Margo Joubran finished with a match-high 15 kills.
- Cassadine Reed and Olivia Welch also reached double figures in kills with 11 and 10, respectively.
- Marisa Dion dished out 41 set assists.
- Welch recorded a match-high 13 digs.
- The Comets return home to Olivet tonight and are back on the road tomorrow afternoon for a 1 p.m. match at Calvin College.