OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team fell to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Adrian College in three sets by identical 25-22 scores this evening at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Adrian def. Olivet 25-22, 25-22, 25-22
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Adrian 9-6 overall, 5-2 MIAA; Olivet 6-9 overall, 2-5 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets led the opening set 2-0 before the Bulldogs scored four straight points to go up 4-2. Olivet scored the next point but Adrian answered with a 7-1 run to take an 11-4 lead. The Comets fought back to trail by only two points, 24-22. A kill ended the set in the Bulldogs' favor, 25-22.
- Olivet held 2-0 and 4-3 leads early in the second set. Adrian came back to take an 11-8 lead. The Comets battled back to tie the set at 13-13 and 16-16 before taking a 20-19 lead. The Bulldogs scored four consecutive points for a 23-20 advantage. Olivet put the next two points on the scoreboard to be down by one, 23-22. Adrian scored the final two points to win the set, 25-22.
- The Bulldogs led the third set 12-8 until the Comets went on a 4-0 run to level the set at 12-12. After another tie at 13-13, Adrian used a 2-0 run to take a 15-13 lead. Olivet answered with a 3-0 scoring spurt to take a 16-15 advantage. Five straight Bulldog points made the score 20-16. The Comets then retaliated with a 5-1 run to cause a 21-21 deadlock. Adrian responded with two straight points for a 23-21 before an Olivet point made the score 23-22. Two kills for the Bulldogs ended the set and match.
FOR THE COMETS
- Junior Allison Turner pounded down 13 of the Comets' 44 kills.
- Freshman Madelyn Notenbaum recorded a triple double with 12 kills, 20 set assists and 10 digs.
- Junior Courtney Cronkright and freshman Morgan Champion had eight and seven kills, respectively.
- Sophomore Erie McClendon finished with five blocks, all assisted, while freshman Brittney Prince had four blocks, one solo and three assisted.
- Senior Danielle Bearden dished out a team-best 21 set assists.
- Senior Mona Hinamanu led all players with 19 digs.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Margo Joubran was the only Adrian player in double figures with 13 kills.
- Marisa Dion posted team-highs in set assists (30) and digs (14).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Notenbaum entered tonight's match tied for the lead among all NCAA Division III women's volleyball players with four triple doubles. The two players she was tied with did not have one in their respective match tonight, so Notenabum should take over sole possession of the lead when the new rankings are released.
- Olivet travels to Chicago Friday and Saturday to participate in the Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawk Invitational. On Friday, the Comets play Illinois Tech at 4 p.m. ET, followed by a match against University of Cincinnati-Clermont (Ohio). On Saturday, Olivet faces Eureka (Ill.) College at 1 p.m. ET, followed by a match vs. Principia (Ill.) College.