OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's soccer team blanked Manchester (Ind.) University, 2-0, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. With the win, the Comets improve their overall record to 4-2, with three wins by shutout.
Final Score: Olivet 2, Manchester (Ind.) 0
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Manchester 0-6 overall, Olivet 4-2 overall
- The Comets earned a corner kick in the fifth minute. Junior Chelsie Smith served the ball into the box, where junior Miranda Gale headed the ball into the net at the far post.
- The Spartans nearly scored the equalizer off the restart of play, but Olivet sophomore keeper Mekenzie Lamb stopped the shot.
- The Comets maintained the offensive pressure in the final 40 minutes of the opening half, as they out-shot Manchester, 16-2.
- Olivet had a couple strong scoring chances early in the second half. Freshman Mary Mitchell had a shot saved by the keeper and another shot clang off the crossbar to the head of senior Abby Radcliffe. Her shot was then stopped by the keeper.
- The Comets scored their second goal in the 54th minute. Smith played the ball up from the middle of the field to the feet of Mitchell. Mitchell then knocked the ball over the keeper's head and into the center of the net.
- Manchester had the better scoring opportunities in the final 36 minutes of the game but was never able to get one into the goal.
- Olivet finished the game with a 26-5 advantage in total shots, with a 13-4 edge in shots-on-goal.
- Mitchell took a team-leading seven shots, placing five on-frame.
- Radcliffe recorded four shots.
- Lamb earned her second win of the season in goal. She played the entire game and made four saves.
- Five different players tallied a shot.
- Gabrielle Carreon suffered the loss in goal. She made 11 saves.
- Olivet is on the road tomorrow to play Aquinas College, starting at 12 p.m.