ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College softball team won a pair of one-run games, 3-2 and 4-2, against Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Adrian College today at the A.C. Softball Field in Adrian.
Final Scores: Olivet 3, Adrian 2; Olivet 4, Adrian 3
Location: AC Softball Field; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 14-22 overall, 5-9 MIAA; Adrian 12-22 overall, 5-7 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
- The Bulldogs scored a run in the bottom half of the first inning.
- The Comets answered with two runs in the top half of the second.
- Without getting a base hit, Adrian tied the game at 2-2 with an unearned run in the third inning.
- Sophomore Nikole Kern used her legs to score what proved to be the winning run in the fourth. She reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and third base and scored on freshman Payton Watson's infield single.
- The Bulldogs left two runners on base in the sixth before being retired in order in the seventh.
FOR THE COMETS
- Freshman Bekah VanDam threw a complete game, two-hitter in the circle to earn her second pitching win of the season. She allowed the two runs (one earned) and struck out four.
- Olivet totaled 10 hits at the plate.
- Out of the leadoff spot in the lineup, Watson was 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Freshman Jazmin Hildebrand had two hits, including a double, and an RBI.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Jaime Lightner had one of the two hits, and scored both runs for Adrian.
- Katie Jenkins was tagged with the pitching loss after surrendering the three runs on eight hits in 4.2 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
- Olivet took the 1-0 lead in the first inning when freshman Courtney Willson reached on an error, stole second and scored on senior Taylor Smith's single into right field.
- Willson hit a solo home run to start a three-run third inning for the Comets. Smith roped a single, went to second when freshman Taylor Shellenberger walked and came around to score on Hildebrand's single. Sophomore Dominique McKillop reached on an error to load the bases. Freshman Haley Harty hit a sacrifice fly to plate Shellenberger.
- The Bulldogs pushed across one run in the fourth and two more runs in the sixth to cut their deficit to 4-3.
- In the seventh, Adrian filled the bases but a ground out back to the pitcher on a 0-1 count ended the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- At the plate, Olivet recorded eight hits.
- Willson and Hildebrand both were 2-for-3 with an RBI, while Willson scored twice.
- Smith notched two hits.
- In the circle, freshman Gracie Boyle picked-up the win to even her season record to 8-8. She gave up the three runs on eight hits in five innings.
- Senior Carrie Chamberlain tossed the final two innings to claim her third save of the season.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Paige Cubberly had three of the 10 Adrian base hits, which were all singles.
- Bryanna Collins and Taylor Van'T land each tallied two hits.
- Cubberly was the losing pitcher after yielding the four runs (two earned) on eight hits in seven innings.
- Olivet closes the curtain on the 2017 season next Saturday, April 29, when it travels to play Calvin College at 1 p.m.