OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College softball team was swept by Trine (Ind.) University, 8-0 and 12-1, today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Thunder are ranked No. 4 in the most recent National Fastpitch Coaches Association poll.
Final Scores: Trine 8, Olivet 0; Trine 12, Olivet 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Trine 24-2 overall, 5-1 MIAA; Olivet 9-17 overall, 0-6 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
- The Thunder led 3-0 after two innings on a two-run home run in the first and a solo homer in the second.
- The Comets had a base runner in each of the first two innings.
- Trine plated two more runs in the fifth.
- Olivet loaded the bases with nobody out in the home half of the fifth inning but failed to score.
- The Thunder capped their scoring with a three-run seventh inning. The first two runs were on a two-run home run.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet recorded just four hits, including a pair of singles by junior Konnor Geiger.
- The other two hits were singles by sophomore Nikole Kern and junior Olivia Peraino.
- Freshman Gracie Boyle suffered the pitching loss after allowing seven earned runs on 15 hits in six and one-third innings.
- Freshman Brianna Sevcech recorded the final two outs.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Trine totaled 16 hits in the game.
- Makenna Hartline was 4-for-5.
- Carly Bachna was 3-for-4 with two doubles.
- Catherine Porter hit two home runs and drove in four runs.
- Danielle Ray threw all seven innings to earn the pitching win. She struck out eight and did not walk a batter.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
- The Comets left two runners on the bases in the top half of the first inning.
- After going down 1-2-3 in the first, the Thunder took a 2-0 lead in the second inning on a two-run homer.
- Olivet scored its run in the third inning. Freshman Payton Watson and Kern both walked to start the inning. A fly ball by senior Taylor Smith advanced Watson to third. A wild pitch brought home Watson to make the score 2-1.
- Trine hit back-to-back home runs, with the former being a two-run shot, in the third before adding seven runs in the fifth to make the score 12-1.
- The Comets filled the bases with no outs in the fifth but three strikeouts ended the game early due to the eight-run mercy rule.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet had two hits, both by Smith.
- Watson did not have an official at-bat, as she walked in each of her three plate appearances.
- Senior Carrie Chamberlain threw three and one-third total innings, and gave up five earned runs on six hits to be tagged with the loss.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Trine notched eight hits.
- Claire Ryan recorded a pair of hits and drove in four runs.
- Kate Saup picked-up the pitching win in relief of starter Hannah Kampmann.
- Olivet seeks its first MIAA win of the season Wednesday when it hosts Albion College for a doubleheader, starting at 2:30 p.m. Please note the start time was moved up one hour from the originally-published schedule.