OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team fell to nationally-ranked Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) University this afternoon at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. The Lions, ranked No. 12 in the most recent American Volleyball Coaches Association poll, swept the match 25-16, 25-14, 25-18.
Final Score: Mount St. Joseph def. Olivet 25-16, 25-14, 25-18
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-10 overall, 0-6 MCVL; Mount St. Joseph 16-5 overall, 6-0 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets held a 2-0 lead in the first set. The Lions fought back to tie the set four times, with the last time being 7-7. Mount St. Joseph surged ahead 9-7 before two Olivet points leveled the score. The Lions scored the next point and did not trail for the remainder of the set.
- Mount St. Joseph led the second set from start-to-finish.
- The Lions went up 2-0 in the third set until the Comets scored two straight points to tie set. The teams exchanged points to create another tie at 3-3. Two Olivet errors handed the lead back to Mount St. Joseph. The Comets closed the gap to a single point twice, 5-4 and 6-5. Olivet did not get any closer for the remainder of the set.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the match with 19 kills.
- Senior Rhett Pringle and sophomore Trent Robinson each had six kills.
- Freshman Tanner Gardenour recorded 17 set assists.
- Sophomore Logan Blough posted a team-leading eight digs.
FOR THE LIONS
- Andrew Chisholm slammed down seven of the 38 Mount St. Joseph kills.
- Chris Ales, Ben Holt and Marushwa Kingu tallied six kills apiece.
- Nathan Herdeman collected 33 set assists.
- Ales also recorded a match-high nine digs.
- The Comets travel to play Illinois Institute of Technology next Wednesday, March 21, at 7 p.m. CT.