OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team was tripped up by Wittenberg (Ohio) University in a Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) match tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. The Tigers won in three sets 25-16, 25-14, 27-25.
Final Score: Wittenberg def. Olivet 25-16, 25-14, 27-25
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-9 overall, 0-5 MCVL; Wittenberg 13-8 overall, 3-2 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers had a wire-to-wire lead in the first set.
- In the second set, Wittenberg went up 6-4. The Comets responded with a 5-0 run to go up 9-6. Olivet had another three-point cushion, 10-7, before the Tigers went on a 7-0 scoring spurt to take the lead back, 14-10. The Comets were not able to recover from the deficit.
- In the third set, Olivet scored the first three points on two kills sandwiched around a service ace. The Comets maintained their advantage until the Tigers tied the set at 8-8. Olivet came back with a 6-2 run for a 14-10 lead. Wittenberg turned a 17-14 deficit into a 19-17 lead with a 5-0 run. The Tigers went up 24-21 before the Comets answered with a 4-0 spurt to take a 25-24 lead. Wittenberg put the final three points on the scoreboard to win the set and match.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the match with 26 total kills, including a team-leading eight for sophomore Trent Robinson.
- Sophomore Brock Pringle tallied seven kills and .182 attack percentage.
- Freshman Tanner Gardenour dished out 21 set assists.
- Sophomore Zach Pringle collected a match-high eight digs.
FOR THE TIGERS
- Ashton Sellers and Deion Woodson posted a team-high nine kills apiece.
- Noah Wissel recorded 22 set assists.
- Wissel, and liberos Troy Boucher and Teddy Hesterman each had six digs.
- The Comets host Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) University tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m.