KENOSHA, Wis. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team dropped a three-set decision to Carthage (Wis.) College this afternoon inside Tarble Arena in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The Red Men entered the match ranked No. 2 in this week's American Volleyball Coaches Association poll.
Final Score: Carthage def. Olivet, 25-20, 25-13, 25-8
Location: Tarble Arena; Kenosha, Wis.
Records: Olivet 4-6 overall, 0-4 MCVL; Carthage 15-1 overall, 2-1 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets had a four-point lead, 8-4, in the opening set. The Red Men battled back to take an 11-10 lead. Olivet scored the next points to go ahead 12-11. The Comets maintained their lead until Carthage turned a 17-14 deficit into an 18-17 lead. Olivet tied the set at 18-18 before the Red Men put seven of the final nine points on the scoreboard to win the set 25-20.
- The Comets led 9-8 in the second set. Carthage responded with a 5-0 run to take a 13-9 lead. The Red Men did not trail for the rest of the set, winning it by a 25-13 score.
- Carthage scored the first two points of the third set before Olivet answered with three straight points to gain a 3-2 advantage. The Red Men answered with a 6-0 scoring spurt to take the lead back and did not relinquish it for the rest of the set.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomore Trent Robinson tallied eight of Olivet's 22 kills.
- Freshman Karl Deichmann was next with six kills.
- Sophomore Aaron Giorgi dished out 19 set assists.
FOR THE RED MEN
- Evan Walsh slammed down a match-high 10 kills.
- Tony Allen recorded a team-leading 10 digs.
- Matt Reinsel collected 29 set assists.
- The Comets travel to play Adrian College next Tuesday, March 6, at 7 p.m.