OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College football team dropped a 30-21 decision to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Albion College in it season-finale this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. Despite the loss, the Comets finish the 2019 season with an 8-2 overall record and share second-place in the league standings with a 5-2 record.
Final score: Albion 30, Olivet 21 (Final)
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Olivet 8-2 overall, 5-2 MIAA; Albion 8-2 overall, 5-2 MIAA
- After winning the coin toss and electing to receive the ball, the Comets were forced to punt on their first drive.
- The Britons needed only five plays to cover 74 yards to score a touchdown when Jack Bush completed a 36-yard pass to Justin Thomas on their first drive.
- Olivet answered on its ensuing drive to tie the game when senior Noah McMinn capped a 12-play, 77-yard series with a 2-yard touchdown run at the 3:13 mark.
- There was no more scoring until Josh Castillo made a 39-yard field goal put Albion ahead 10-7 with nine seconds remaining until halftime.
- The Comets did not get a first down on their first possession of the second half. Olivet's punt was blocked and recovered by the Britons at the Olivet 1-yard line.
- Markell McCoy ran the ball into the end zone on Albion's first play to make the score 17-7.
- The Comets responded with a touchdown on their next drive. Freshman quarterback Kaleb Jarrett rushed four yards for the touchdown with 4:28 remaining in the third quarter.
- The Britons quickly answered with a 49-yard touchdown run by Kyle Thomas to push their lead back to 10 points, 24-14.
- Albion extended its lead to 27-14 when Castillo nailed a 28-yard field goal on the first play of the fourth quarter.
- Olivet made it a one-score game, 27-21. On the 15th play of the drive, Jarrett ran into the end zone from two yards out at the 6:44 mark of the final quarter.
- The Britons ended the scoring on a 39-yard field goal by Castillo with 4:01 left on the game clock.
- Olivet finished the game with 290 yards of offense compared to 435 for the Britons.
- McMinn had 25 carries for 76 yards to give the fourth-most rushing yards in a season in school history with 1,090.
- Jarrett completed 13-of-26 passes for 118 yards.
- Freshman Jalen Broussard was the leading receiver with seven catches for 32 yards.
- Freshman Teondre' Patterson caught three passes for 44 yards.
- Senior Kolby Williams led the defense with 12 total tackles, with 10 solo stops.
- Kyle Thomas ran for 89 yards and had five receptions for 69 yards.
- McCoy rushed 15 times for 47 yards.
- Bush was 18-of-23 for 244 yards.
- Kolby Canfield and Justin Thomas each had four grabs for 91 and 90 yards, respectively.
- Levi Ladd led the defense with 10 tackles.