ALMA, Mich. – The Olivet College football team stayed in sole possession of second-place in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) standings with a 28-13 win over Alma College today at Bahlke Field in Alma.
Final score: Olivet 28, Alma 13
Location: Bahlke Field; Alma, Michigan
Records: Olivet 8-1 overall, 5-1 MIAA; Alma 5-4 overall, 3-3 MIAA
- The Comets received the opening kickoff and marched 77 yards down the field to take a 7-0 lead on a five-yard touchdown pass from freshman Kaleb Jarrett to senior Noah McMinn.
- The Scots made the score 7-3 on a 28-yard field goal by Zach Clements with 1:28 left in the opening quarter.
- Olivet was unable to score any points off Alma fumbles on its next two possessions.
- The Comets used a 12-play, 64-yard drive late in the second quarter to extend its lead to 14-3. McMinn caught a four-yard pass from Jarrett for the touchdown.
- The score stayed at 14-3 at halftime.
- Alma got the ball to start the second half. On the Scots' fifth play from scrimmage, sophomore Anthony Merriman stepped in front of a Ryan Stevens' pass and returned the interception 45 yards for a touchdown.
- In the fourth quarter, Olivet pushed its lead to 28-6 lead. McMinn rushed three yards for the touchdown with 5:29 left in the game.
- Alma capped the game's scoring with a 33-yard touchdown pass from Stevens to Chase Hinkle.
- Jarrett completed 21-of-36 passes for 203 yards, with two touchdowns and zero interceptions.
- Freshman Jalen Broussard caught five passes for 56 yards.
- McMinn had 14 carries for 32 yards and a touchdown. He also had six receptions for 35 yards and two touchdowns.
- Freshman Jake Trujillo led the ground game with 17 rushes for 75 yards.
- Merriman and senior Coleton Swims topped the defense with 10 tackles apiece.
- Freshman Isaiah Moon and senior Kolby Williams each had nine stops.
- Alma totaled 391 yards of offense.
- Stevens threw for 207 yards on 20-of-38 passing. He also had a team-best 13 rushes for 40 yards.
- Austin Spartling finished with 10 carries for 64 yards.
- Hinkle had eight grabs for 116 yards.
- Zeke Ramirez tallied a game-high 13 tackles.
- This season, Olivet now has three "pick six" touchdowns this season.
- With his 32 rushing yards, McMinn is now the seventh running back in school history to top 1,000 rushing yards in a season.
- The Comets' eight wins in 2019 are tied for the third-most victories in a season. The 2016 and 2017 teams won nine games.
- The Comets close out their season next Saturday, Nov. 16, when they host Albion College at 1 p.m.