HANCOCK, Mich. – The Olivet College football team had no trouble in defeating Finlandia University, 63-6, in its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opener at McAfee Field in Hancock.
Final score: Olivet 63, Finlandia 6
Location: McAfee Field; Hancock, Michigan
Records: Olivet 4-0 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Finlandia 0-4 overall, 0-1 MIAA
- The Comets got on the scoreboard at the 12:01 mark of the first quarter when senior Miguel Manion stripped the ball from the Finlandia quarterback and junior Paris Trotter recovered the ball end zone for a touchdown.
- There was no more scoring in the first quarter.
- Olivet out-scored the Lions, 35-6, in the second quarter. Three of the touchdowns were five, 23 and 12-yard runs by sophomore Jake Trujillo. Another touchdown was a 43-yard pass from freshman quarterback Kaleb Jarrett to freshman Jalen Broussard. And the fifth touchdown was a six-yard run by junior David Coffey.
- The Comets put 14 more points on the scoreboard in the third quarter. Freshman Christian Rogers rushed two yards for a touchdown, and Coffey scampered 13 yards for the second touchdown.
- Olivet capped its scoring with 2:23 left in the game when sophomore Chad Enwright rumbled 20 yards for a touchdown.
- Olivet ran 56 plays for 453 total yards.
- Trujillo had 10 carries for 101 yards and three touchdowns.
- Rogers rushed 14 times for 94 yards.
- Jarrett completed two passes for 49 yards.
- Junior Michael VanSumeran topped the defense with six tackles.
- Finlandia had 67 plays for 190 total yards.
- Darin Johnson accounted for 130 yards, rushing for 66 and throwing for 64.
- Kenny Kujawa caught five passes for 52 yards.
- Marvin Anthony and Christian Creten tallied 12 tackles apiece. Anthony had nine solo stops.
- Olivet celebrates Homecoming next Saturday, Oct. 12, when Adrian College visits the Cutler Athletic Complex. Kick-off is scheduled for 2 p.m.