RIVER FOREST, Ill. – The Olivet College football team scored a touchdown on each of its six first-half possessions, and never looked back in defeating Concordia University Chicago, 54-24, today at Concordia Stadium in River Forest, Illinois.
Final score: Olivet 54, Concordia Chicago (Ill.) 24
Location: Concordia Stadium; River Forest, Illinois
Records: Olivet 2-0 overall, Concordia 1-1 overall
- The Cougars won the toss and elected to receive opening kickoff. The Comet defense forced a three-and-out and Olivet took over at the 50-yard line.
- The Comets' first touchdown was a 23-yard pass from freshman Kaleb Jarrett to sophomore tight end Seth Young.
- Concordia answered on its ensuing drive, with Andrew Lechuga kicking a 21-yard field goal to make the score 6-3 at the 4:53 mark of the first quarter.
- Jarrett found the end zone for the first time, scampering from three yards out to make the score 12-3.
- The Cougars responded with a two-yard touchdown run by Lance Moise to cut their deficit down to two points, 12-10.
- Concordia's defense stopped the Comets' on their next drive. However, on the punt, a Cougar was flagged for roughing the kicker to extend Olivet's drive. On a fourth down and inches play, Jarrett rolled to his left and was able to get the ball past the goal line for a touchdown.
- On the first play of Concordia's ensuing possession, junior Paris Trotter returned an interception 16 yards for a "pick six" touchdown. The PAT kick was good, and Olivet led 26-10 with 5:12 left until halftime.
- Senior Noah McMinn scored his first touchdown of the game on a one-yard sneak.
- After getting the ball back, Jarrett tossed a 45-yard touchdown pass to freshman Jalen Broussard to cap the first-half scoring splurge.
- The Cougars recovered a fumble on the Comets' first play of the second half. On its second play from scrimmage, Moise rumbled 26 yards for a touchdown.
- The Comets converted three fourth down plays on their next drive. The third one was a one-yard plunge into the end zone by McMinn.
- Sophomore Jake Trujillo scored his first collegiate touchdown on a five-yard rush with 8:23 left in the game.
- Concordia scored the final touchdown of the game on a one-yard sneak by quarterback Jaxon Aubry.
- Olivet ran 71 plays for 431 yards.
- Jarrett completed 14-of-16 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns. He also had nine rushes for seven yards and two touchdowns.
- Broussard caught eight passes for 113 yards.
- McMinn rushed 23 times for 99 yards and two touchdowns.
- Defensively, senior Kolby Williams recorded a team-best six tackles, including two for minus seven yards.
- Concordia finished the game with 229 net yards.
- Moise had 21 carries for 80 yards, and caught four passes for 62 yards.
- Aubry was 11-of-24 for 141 yards.
- Matt Henning tallied a game-best 13 tackles, including seven solo stops.
- The last time the Comets had 34 points in one quarter was Nov. 10, 2007, against Kalamazoo College. In that game, Olivet put 38 points on the scoreboard in the second quarter.
- The Comets now hold a 4-1 edge in the all-time series against the Cougars. Olivet has out-scored them, 205-68, in the five games, including three games with more than 50 points.
- Olivet hosts Benedictine (Ill.) University next Saturday, Sept. 21, for its home-opener. Kick-off at the Cutler Athletic Complex is set for 3 p.m.