OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team celebrated Senior Day and was swept in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader against Kalamazoo College this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex. The Hornets won 3-0 and 13-4.
Final Score: Kalamazoo 3, Olivet 0; Kalamazoo 13, Olivet 4
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 14-21 overall, 12-14 MIAA; Olivet 6-32 overall, 4-22 MIAA
- The Hornets scored a run in the third inning on a sacrifice fly.
- Kalamazoo added a single tally in the sixth inning on a solo home run.
- The Hornets capped their scoring with a run on a squeeze bunt in the seventh inning.
- Olivet was held to two hits.
- Junior Brandan Settles had both hits.
- Senior Zach Oshinsky was charged with the loss, as he gave up the three runs on six hits and two walks over six and one-third innings.
- Junior Tim Sines recorded the final two outs.
- Chase Coselman tallied two hits, including a double.
- Noah Hecht drove in two runs, including one on the aforementioned home run.
- Jack Tagget threw the complete game, two-hitter to earn the pitching win. He struck out five and walked three batters.
- Kalamazoo sent nine batters to the plate and scored five runs in the second inning.
- The Comets got one run back in the bottom half of the second on an RBI-groundout by freshman Hayden Zimmerman.
- Back-to-back doubles in the fifth inning plated another run for the Hornets.
- Olivet scored two runs in the sixth inning on an RBI-single by senior Jake Robinson and an RBI-double by sophomore Logan Sella.
- Kalamazoo answered with a five-run seventh inning to extend its lead to 11-3.
- The Hornets pushed across a single tally in the eighth inning.
- The Comets manufactured a run in their half of the eighth. Junior Riley Bennett led off with a double to the right-center field gap, went to third base on a single by senior Dugan Dieselberg and scored on a sacrifice fly by sophomore Seamus Mitchell.
- Kalamazoo capped its scoring with a run in the ninth inning on the strangest play. With the bases loaded, the batter hit the ball off the top of the fence. The umpires ruled the batter out for passing the runner on first, and the runners on first and second out for not getting to the next base.
- Olivet recorded 10 hits.
- Bennett, Sella and freshman Jake Csizmadia each had two hits, including a double apiece.
- On the mound, junior Zac Walter suffered the loss after allowing eight runs on 12 hits over the first six innings.
- Three relievers made an appearance on the mound.
- Kalamazoo recorded 17 hits. Five players had a multi-hit game.
- Coselman was 3-for-4 with three runs.
- Austin Duff had two hits drove in three runs.
- Parker Sivosky tossed six innings to pick-up the win. He yielded three runs (two earned) on eight hits, while striking out seven and walking one.
- Between games of the doubleheader, Olivet recognized its four seniors – Dugan Dieselberg, Zach Oshinsky, Travis Petts and Jake Robinson – who played in their final home games.
- Olivet ends the 2019 season tomorrow with a doubleheader at Kalamazoo. First pitch from Woodworth Field is at 1 p.m.