FREELAND, Mich. – Eleven Olivet College athletic teams have received the 2018-19 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Team GPA award. The award is presented annually to the conference teams who have a 3.30 or higher cumulative grade point average for the entire academic year.
Ten of Olivet's 11 women's sports earned the honor. The women's volleyball team had the highest GPA at 3.69, which ranks seventh of all 91 MIAA teams honored. The women's soccer team was next at 3.68, followed by women's golf at 3.66. The women's swimming & diving team posted a 3.44 GPA, while the women's team had a 3.35 GPA.
The women's indoor track & field team was next at 3.343, followed by women's cross country, 3.37; women's indoor track & field, 3.37; and softball, 3.35. The only men's team to receive the award was men's tennis with a 3.30 GPA.
- The MIAA Team GPA award is in its 21st year of existence. The women's golf team has received the award 15 times, including 12 straight.
- The 11 teams honored this year is tied for the most in school history for an academic year. In 2015-16, 11 teams were also honored.
- The women's swimming & diving team has received this honor for the 14th time.
- The women's volleyball team posted its highest team GPA in school history.
- The women's tennis team is on the list for the ninth consecutive year, and the 10th out of the last 11 years.
- The women's soccer team has received the award seven straight years.
- The men's tennis team is receiving the award for the first time in school history.
NUMBER OF YEARS RECEIVING THE MIAA TEAM GPA AWARD
- Women's golf – 15
- Women's swimming & diving – 14
- Women's tennis – 12
- Women's (outdoor) track & field – 12
- Women's cross country – 10
- Softball – 10