LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Olivet College wrestling team bowed out of the 2020 National Wrestling Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) Multi-Divisional National Duals with a 25-12 loss to No. 6-ranked Coe (Iowa) College.
- The Comets won four bouts against the nationally-ranked Kohawks.
- Junior Cameron Mahlich won 8-2 in overtime of the 125-pound bout.
- Sophomore Reese Wallis scored a takedown with eight seconds left in overtime to win 3-1 at 133 pounds.
- Freshman Zach Wells claimed an 8-4 decision at 149 pounds.
- At 157 pounds, junior Cole Hersch overcame a 10-2 deficit at the end of the first period to post a 16-14 win against Cole Erickson, who was ranked No. 6 in the most recent NWCA individual rankings.
"I am extremely proud of how we competed this weekend," said Olivet head coach Brandon Brissette. "We did not reach our ultimate goal but our team continues to improve through these fights. And most importantly we grew again in our OWC identity and pride. We took each challenge head on and our confidence in our attacks and conditioning is phenomenal. We are already looking forward to our next challenge, defending our MIAA championship!"
- The Comets resume their Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association schedule next Thursday, Jan. 16, with a match at Trine (Ind.) University. The match will take place at Hershey Hall and get under way at 7 p.m.