OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team lost in four sets to Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) foe Augustana (Ill.) College tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Augustana def. Olivet 25-9, 21-25, 25-20, 25-22
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-12 overall, 0-7 MCVL; Augustana 9-15 overall, 2-4 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set saw the Vikings race out to a 7-2 lead. The 16-point margin of victory matched Augustana's largest lead in the opening set.
- The Comets led by as many as six points, 24-18, in the second set. Justin Murphy slammed down three straight kills for the Vikings, forcing Olivet to call a timeout. Out of the timeout, sophomore Zach Pringle's kill ended the set.
- Augustana built a five-point lead, 15-10, in the third set. The Comets used a 6-1 run to level the score at 16-16. Following two more tied scores, 17-17 and 18-18, the Vikings scored the next two points and did not give up the lead for the rest of the set.
- In the fourth set, Olivet led by six points, 17-11. Augustana answered with a 7-0 scoring spurt to go ahead for the first time, 18-17. There were three ties at 18-18, 19-19 and 20-20. A Comet kill and Viking error made the score 22-20. Augustana scored the final five points to win the set, 25-22.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet had seven attack errors in the first set but finished with only eight total attack errors over the final three sets.
- Sophomore Brock Pringle had a double-double, recording team-highs in kills (13) and digs (12). He also posted a .455 attack percentage.
- Sophomore Trent Robinson tallied 11 kills.
- Senior Rhett Pringle was next with eight kills.
- Freshman Tanner Gardenour collected 33 set assists.
FOR THE VIKINGS
- Richard Baum led all Augustana players with 13 kills and hit at a .500 clip.
- Murphy and Jason Szara recorded 12 and 11 kills, respectively.
- Matthew Schiferl topped the defense with 13 digs.
- Ryan Hirschel registered 42 set assists.
- The Comets welcome Loras (Iowa) College and Aurora (Ill.) University to The Cutler Event Center for a tri-match tomorrow inside The Cutler Event Center, starting at 11 a.m. The first match features Olivet against Loras, followed by Loras vs. Aurora, and the day wraps-up with the Comets playing Aurora.