GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team came up short against Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Calvin University, 97-70, today at Van Noord Arena in Grand Rapids.
Final Score: Calvin 97, Olivet 70
Location: Van Noord Arena; Grand Rapids, Michigan
Records: Calvin 7-6 overall, 1-1 MIAA; Olivet 3-10 overall, 0-2 MIAA
- The Comets made the first basket of the game. The Knights answered with a three-pointer. Calvin led 20 points, 46-26, at the 2:43 mark of the first half. The Knights stretched their lead to as many as 33 points twice, 86-53 and 89-56.
- For the game, Calvin shot 50.8 percent (33-of-65) including 48.4 percent (15-of-31 from behind the arc) and 84.2 percent (16-of-19) from the free throw line. The Comets had a 40.3 field goal percentage (27-of-67).
- Junior Eddie Thigpen led Olivet with 14 points.
- Junior Chris Martin had 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
- Junior Jared Long came off the bench to score 10 points.
- Derrick DeVries led all players with 34 points on 12-of-21 shooting.
- Thad Shymanski contributed 23 points, with five triples.
- Tony DeWitte had 16 points.
- Alex Bos grabbed a game-best 10 rebounds.
- Olivet travels to play Kalamazoo College next Wednesday, Jan. 15. Tip-off at the Anderson Athletic Center is 7:30 p.m.