HOLLAND, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team started Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with an 89-84 loss to Hope College tonight at the DeVos Fieldhouse in Holland.
Final Score: Hope 89, Olivet 84
Location: DeVos Fieldhouse; Holland, Michigan
Records: Hope 8-4 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Olivet 3-9 overall, 0-1 MIAA
- The Flying Dutchmen built an early five-point lead, 11-6, at the 16:15 mark of the opening half. The Comets scored eight of the next 11 points to level the score at 14-14. Hope answered with an 8-0 run for a 22-14 lead. Olivet answered with an 11-2 run to take its first lead of the game, 25-24. The Flying Dutchmen came back to take a seven-point on two occasions. After the last time at 41-34, the Comets ended the half off on a 9-2 run to tie the game at 43-43 at the intermission.
- The start of the second half was back-and-forth. Olivet led by five points twice. Hope used a 9-2 run to turn a 60-55 deficit into a 64-62 lead. The teams traded baskets and free throws to create four tied scores. After a 70-all score, the Flying Dutchmen went on a 13-3 scoring spurt to gain the largest lead for either team. The Comets were only able to close the gap to five points in the final minute of the game.
- Junior Shawn Pardee led Olivet with 26 points.
- Juniors Chris Martin and Eddie Thigpen scored 16 points apiece.
- Martin grabbed a team-leading nine rebounds.
- Junior Jared Long dished out five assists.
- Preston Granger had a double-double, 28 points and 12 rebounds, to lead Hope.
- Evan Thomas joined him in double digits with 21 points.
- Tyler George contributed 12 points.
- Olivet faces Calvin University Saturday afternoon at the Van Noord Arena in Grand Rapids. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.