GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's and women's track & field teams sit in fourth and sixth after day one of the 2017 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Field Day, hosted by Calvin College. The Comet men totaled 19 points, while the women have 10 points.
FOR THE MEN
- Junior Bruce Baker had the Comets' best finish on day one, crossing the line second in 32:42.59.
- Freshman Noah Bailey placed fourth in the long jump at 21 feet, 2 inches. He also advanced to tomorrow's finals in the 400-meter dash with the fifth-fastest preliminary time at 50.61 seconds.
- Junior Mitchell Smith scored fifth-place points in the shot put with a 43 feet, 9-3/4 inch toss.
- Sophomore Kory Slaby finished sixth in the javelin with a 130 feet, 10 inch throw.
FOR THE WOMEN
- Sophomore Kimberly Barber finished third in the long jump with a 17 foot leap. She also advanced to tomorrow's final in the 100-meter and 200-meter dashes. In the 100, Barber tied the school record with the third-best preliminary time at 12.79 seconds, and in the 200, she broke the school record with the second-fastest preliminary time at 26.36 seconds.
- Sophomore Madison Grace placed fifth in the discus throw with a 114 foot, 4 inch throw.
- Junior Isabelle Leon qualified for the 800-meter run finals after recording the fourth-fastest preliminary time of 2:22.48.
- Senior Brianna Wiles will run in the finals of the 400-meter dash after posting the fifth-quickest time in the preliminaries at 1:01.47.
- Day 2 of the MIAA Field Day starts tomorrow with finals in field events at 10 a.m., and running events at 1:30 p.m.