DEFIANCE, Ohio – The Olivet College men's and women's track & field teams broke five school records today at the 2017 Dick Small Invitational, hosted by Defiance College and at the George M. Smart Center in Defiance, Ohio. In addition to the record-breaking marks, there were other personal- and season-best performances for the Comets.
FOR THE WOMEN
- Sophomore Kimberly Barber took second-place and broke the school record in the triple jump with a 33 feet and 10 inches leap. She also placed third in the 60-meter dash with a school-record time of 8.12 seconds. Barber previously held the record in both events at 8.21 seconds in the 60-meter dash, and 33 feet and 9-1/4 inches in the triple jump. She had the top mark in the long jump at 16 feet and 10-3/4 inches.
- Junior Isabelle Leon won the 800-meter run in a school-record time of 2:26.46. The old record was 2:28.20 by Jenna Mayle.
- Senior Brianna Wiles claimed first-place in the 400-meter dash with a personal-best time of 1:02.96.
- Barber, Leon, Wiles and junior Michaela Kaliniak crossed the finish line first in the 4x400-meter relay with a time of 4:22.96, which is also the fourth-fastest in school history.
- Kaliniak was second in the pole vault with a season-best nine feet and 5-3/4 inches clearance.
FOR THE MEN
- Senior Connor Bauserman broke the school record in the mile run with a time of 4:25.11. Current assistant coach Andrew Benkovsky had the previous record at 4:25.41.
- Junior Mitchell Smith took first-place and set the school record for a second straight week in the weight throw. Today, his throw traveled 52 feet and 2-3/4 inches, which was more than two foot better than his old mark of 50 feet and 1-1/4 inches.
- Bauserman, junior Bruce Baker, sophomore Nicholas Yeck and senior Blake Wilson won the 4x400-meter relay in a time of 3:42.57.
- Olivet will participate in the Hillsdale College Tune-up Saturday, Feb. 18. The meet will begin at 11 a.m.