OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College wrestling team won 8-of-10 individual matches to defeat Alma College, 35-9, before a loud and capacity crowd inside The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 35, Alma 9
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 12-4 overall, Alma 1-12 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The match started at 197 pounds, where junior Jack Tromp earned a forfeit victory.
- At 285 pounds, freshman Trevor Piggott used three takedowns and two escapes to post an 8-4 win.
- At 125 pounds, senior Jared Brickley needed the riding time point at the end of the match to escape with the narrow 3-2 decision.
- At 133 pounds, freshman Spencer Fox had a pair of four-point near-falls in an 18-7 major decision.
- The Scots won by fall at 141 pounds and a 10-9 decision at 149 pounds to make the team score, 16-9.
- At 157 pounds, senior John Leark got five team points back by recording an 18-0 technical fall with 20 seconds remaining in the first period. After quickly taking his man down, he scored a pair of two-point near-falls before closing out the match with three four-point near-falls.
- At 165 pounds, junior Tyler Grimsley got an escape in the final seconds to close out a 17-9 major decision.
- At 174 pounds, sophomore Haydn Kinjorski brought the crowd to their feet when he pinned his opponent with 22 seconds left in the first period.
- At 184 pounds, senior Ryan Clark doubled-up his man by registering a 20-10 major decision.
BEYOND THE MATCHES
- Olivet moved up to No. 13 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) Top 25 poll.
- Grimsley is ranked No. 6 in the NWCA poll, and No. 7 in the d3wrestle.com rankings.
- With the win, Clark improved to 21-7 this season. The 21 wins are the most on the team. Grimsley is second with a 20-3 record.
- The junior varsity wrestlers will compete Saturday at the Manchester Spartan Mat Classic. The varsity wrestlers return to action next Thursday, Jan. 18, when they host Adrian College at 7 p.m.