ADA, Ohio – Senior Jared Brickley took first-place in the 125-pound bracket to help the Olivet College wrestling team place fourth of 11 schools at the 37th Annual Ohio Northern University Polar Bear Invitational held today inside the ONU Sports Center in Ada, Ohio.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tiffin (Ohio) University, an NCAA Division II school, took first-place with 151 points. Ohio Northern was second with 140 points, followed by NAIA foe Campbellsville (Ky.) University with 136.5 points.
- The Comets had nine wrestlers finish in the top eight of their respective class and totaled 117.5 points.
- After getting a bye in the first round, Brickley pinned Nathaniel Stubblefield from Tiffin in 3:53 and then received a medical forfeit victory in the quarterfinals. Brickley defeated Jackson Lakso from Otterbein (Ohio) University, 6-2, in the semifinals before using the riding time point to slip past Seth Transue from Ohio Northern, 7-6, in the championship match.
- Sophomores Cole Hersch and Drew Mandell faced each other in the third-place match of the 141-pound bracket. Mandell won by injury default to finish the day with a 4-1 record, including a 19-1 technical fall and first-period pin in 2:16. Hersch had a 3-2 record, with all three wins being major decisions (13-4, 9-1 and 14-3).
- At 165 pounds, sophomore Nicholas Worden battled his way back from a loss in the first round to win four straight matches to reach the third-place match. He was pinned by Willy Plaisir from Otterbein to finish in fourth-place.
- At 184 pounds, senior Ryan Clark placed fourth. He started the day with two wins, 18-3 and 12-6, before suffering a loss to Charles Sharon from Campbellsville in the semifinals. In the consolation bracket, Clark defeated Cash Thompson from Ohio Northern, 11-7, but lost 19-10 to Alex Bair from Ohio Northern in the third-place bout.
- At 157 pounds, senior John Leark finished in fifth-place, with wins by major decision (9-0) and decision (7-4). A medical forfeit was the result of the fifth-place bout.
- At 141 pounds, sophomore Andre Bourlier placed sixth. One of two wins was a pin at 4:32.
- Also in the 125-pound bracket, freshman Cameron Mahlich finished in sixth-place. His wins were by decision (12-6), fall (2:27) and major decision (17-3).
- At 174 pounds, sophomore Kamyab Kamali was seventh. Three of his four wins were by fall in 30 seconds, 6:02 and 5:24.
OLIVET RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Jared Brickley first-place, 4-0; Cameron Mahlich sixth-place, 3-2; Garret Cleveland 0-2
- 141: Andre Bourlier sixth-place, 2-3; Dean Roberts 1-2
- 149: Drew Mandell third-place, 4-1; Cole Hersch fourth-place, 3-2; Bradley Payne 0-2; Joseph Shuler 0-2
- 157: John Leark fifth-place, 2-1; Ethan Sharp 0-2
- 165: Nicholas Worden fourth-place, 4-2; Zachary Goff 0-2; Nicholas Guerra 0-2;
- 174: Kamyab Kamali seventh-place, 4-2; Haydn Kinjorski 1-2
- 184: Ryan Clark fourth-place, 3-2; Keagan Silverthorn 0-2
- 197: Jack Tromp 1-2
- 285: Trevor Piggott 2-2; Bradley Gierman 2-2
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. Tiffin (Ohio) 151.0, 2. Ohio Northern 140.0, 3. Campbellsville (Ky.) 136.5, 4. OLIVET 117.5, 5. Otterbein (Ohio) 105.0, 6. Heidelberg (Ohio) 103.5, 7. Washington & Lee (Va.) 92.0, 8. Alma 83.5, 9. Trine (Ind.) 68.0, 10. Adrian 58.0, 11. Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) 30.5.
- Olivet is back in action next Saturday, Dec. 9 at the North Central (Ill.) College Invitational.