OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College wrestling team hosted the 2017 Mid-States Conference Tournament inside The Cutler Event Center, and finished the day in second-place.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The tournament featured eight teams.
- Wabash (Ind.) College won the championship with 190 points, followed by the Comets in second with 121 points.
- Olivet had three wrestlers finish in second-place in their respective weight class.
- Freshman 125-pounder Garret Cleveland was the runner-up with a 2-1 record. He began the day with an 11-1 major decision over Thomas Schnitker from Heidelberg and then beat Alan Mock from Manchester, 11-7. In the championship match, Cleveland fell to Aaron Parr-Besemer from Alma, 19-12.
- Junior 165-pounder John Leark placed second with a 2-1 mark. He posted back-to-back major decisions, 14-6 over Max Dole from Ohio Northern and 16-7 over Jeff Mucha from Wabash, before dropping an 8-2 decision to Ethan Herrin in the championship match.
- Senior 197-pounder Kyle Carter was second with a 2-1 record. He pinned Riley Griffin from Alma in 1:52 and Patrick Brown from Heidelberg in 4:13 to advance to the championship match. Carter medically forfeited the championship bout to three-time defending NCAA DIII national champion Riley Lefever from Wabash.
- Junior Ryan Clark had a 4-2 record to finish in fourth-place in the 184-pound bracket.
- Senior Ross Pennock finished with a 3-2 mark to place fourth in the 157-pound bracket.
- Senior Lake Bennett pinned Jordan Napier from Manchester in 14 seconds for the fastest fall in school history in the 157-pound weight class.
OLIVET RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Garret Cleveland, 2nd-place, 2-1; Dennis Rayford, 6th-place, 0-3.
- 133: Evan Hoshaw, 3rd-place, 2-1.
- 141: Dean Roberts, 7th-place, 3-2; Andre Boulier, 8th-place, 2-3; Gage Major, 1-2; Joseph Shuler, 1-2.
- 149: no wrestlers
- 157: Ross Pennock, 4th-place, 3-2; Kevin Papak, 5th-place, 4-2; Lake Bennett, 6th-place, 2-3; Nicholas Worden, 7th-place, 3-2.
- 165: John Leark, 2nd-place, 2-1; Daniel Glidden, 1-2.
- 174: Haydn Kinjorski, 8th-place, 2-3; Alexander Morang, 0-2.
- 184: Ryan Clark, 4th-place, 4-2; Logan Beaudoin, 0-2.
- 197: Kyle Carter, 2nd-place, 2-1.
- 285: Clayton Higelmire, 5th-place, 3-2; Jack Tromp, 1-2.
1. Wabash 190.0, 2. OLIVET 121.0, 3. Heidelberg 106.5, 4. Adrian 80.0, 5. Alma 77.0, 6. Ohio Northern 67.5, 7. Trine 63.5, 8. Manchester 37.5.
- The Comets will participate in the 2017 NCAA Division III Midwest Regional Friday and Saturday, Feb. 24-25, at the War Allen Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The top three finishers in each weight class will punch their ticket to the 2017 NCAA DIII National Championships March 10-11 in La Crosse, Wisconsin.