OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College wrestling team closed out the dual match portion of its schedule with a 42-3 victory over Trine (Ind.) University this evening at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. The Comets scored bonus points in six wins, with three pins, one technical fall, one forfeit and one major decision.
Final Score: #12 Olivet 42, Adrian 3
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 11-7 overall, Trine 3-16
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 125 pounds, senior Michael Schmidt used a pair of takedowns, one each in the first and third periods, and a reversal in the second period, for a 6-0 shutout win.
- At 133 pounds, senior Evan Hoshaw received a forfeit victory.
- At 141 pounds, freshman Gage Major competed in a varsity outing for the first time since December, and pinned Michael Weaver in the first period at the 1:53 mark.
- At 149 pounds, senior Austin Kelley won 7-1 after scoring a takedown in the first period, a reversal and takedown in the second period and riding time point at the end of the bout.
- At 157 pounds, senior Kevin Papak overcame a 9-7 deficit to pull a 15-9 win by virtue of a reversal and back points in the final seconds.
- At 165 pounds, senior Ross Pennock wasted no time in pinning Brandon Gay in just 27 seconds.
- At 174 pounds, sophomore Tyler Grimsley posted an 11-3 major decision.
- At 184 pounds, junior Ryan Clark lost a close 8-3 decision.
- At 197 pounds, senior Kyle Carter recorded a pin at the edge of the mat with 21 seconds remaining in the first period.
- At 285 pounds, senior Jesse Judge jumped out to a 12-1 lead after the first period, and then used a takedown and two-point near-fall in the second period to win a 16-1 technical fall.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- The Comets entered the match ranked No. 12 in the most recent National Wrestling Coaches Association Top 25 poll. Individually, Kelley is ranked No. 6 at 149 pounds.
- Olivet is back in action next Saturday, Feb. 11, when it hosts the 2017 Mid-States Conference Tournament. Action from inside The Cutler Event Center gets started at 8 a.m.