Jackson wins Jack Schwartz Most Falls in Least Time award
WHEATON, Ill. – Led by junior Davon Jackson's third-place finish in the 165-pound bracket, the Olivet College wrestling team placed 10th at the 2017 Wheaton-Pete Willson Invitational at the King Arena in Wheaton, Illinois. In addition, Jackson won the Jack Schwartz Award for Most Falls in Least Time, as he had six falls in 13 minutes and 52 seconds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The tournament features 35 NCAA Division III teams.
- Messiah (Pa.) College crowned three individual champions and won the team title with 161 points.
- After recording four pins in Friday's first day of action, Jackson started today with his fastest pin in 41 seconds against Mike Kouvelis from Wis.-Whitewater. He then received a medical forfeit victory to reach the third-place match where he pinned Stephen Aiello from Wheaton in 5:40.
- Senior heavyweight Jesse Judge fell to the top seed in the semifinals, 7-3. Dropping to the consolation bracket, he pinned Tate Dulany from Ferrum in the first period at 2:19 and then was pinned by Justin Karkula from Wis.-Eau Claire in the third-place match.
- Junior 133-pounder Jared Brickley lost his first match this morning but bounced back to beat Brad Taton from Ohio Northern, 4-3, in the seventh-place match.
- Senior Curtis Blackwell placed eighth in the 141-pound bracket.
TOP 10 TEAMS
1. Messiah (Pa.) 161.0, 2. Ferrum (Va.) 98.5, 3. Wis.-La Crosse 97.5, 4. Wheaton (Ill.) 87.5, 5. Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) 85.0, 5. Millikin (Ill.) 85.0, 7. Wis.-Whitewater 82.0, 8. Elmhurst (Ill.) 80.5, 9. Augustana (Ill.) 74.5, 10. OLIVET 70.5.
- The Comets host Trine (Ind.) University next Thursday, Feb. 2, for their final dual match of the season. Action inside The Cutler Event Center in Olivet starts at 7 p.m.