WHEATON, Ill. – The Olivet College wrestling team sits in 10th-place after the first day of the 2017 Pete Willson Invitational, hosted by Wheaton College and inside King Arena in Wheaton, Illinois.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The tournament features 35 NCAA Division III teams.
- Messiah (Pa.) College is in first-place with 92.5 points.
- The Comets have 50 total points and 1/2 point behind ninth-place Augustana (Ill.) College. Four wrestlers are still alive in the brackets and will wrestle tomorrow.
- Senior heavyweight Jesse Judge has advanced to the semifinals where he will face No. 1 seed Adarios Jones from Augustana. To get there, he defeated Karim Fuentes from Elmhurst (Ill.) College, 10-0, and Nick Havener from Messiah (Pa.) College before getting a medical forfeit victory over Emonte Logan from North Central (Ill.) College in the quarterfinals.
- Junior Jared Brickley at 133 pounds, senior Curtis Blackwell at 141 pounds and junior Davon Jackson each lost one match to fall in the consolation bracket.
- After being pinned in his first match, Brickley has won three straight matches – two by minor decision and one by major decision – to advance to the quarterfinals of the consolation bracket. He will face No. 6 seed Bryan Plfanz from Elizabethtown (Pa.) College tomorrow morning.
- Blackwell pinned his first-round opponent and then won a 15-3 major decision before dropping a 10-6 decision to Joshua Decatur from Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) University in the quarterfinals. Blackwell then pinned his opponent, and will wrestle top seed Chase Wilson from Manchester (Ind.) University tomorrow morning.
- Jackson pinned his first-round opponent before getting pinned himself in the second round. Down in the consolation bracket, he recorded three straight first-period pins in 1:01, 1:54 and 1:43. Jackson will now face Mike Kouvelis from Wis.-Whitewater.
OLIVET RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Michael Schmidt 2-2.
- 133: Jared Brickley 3-1.
- 141: Curtis Blackwell 3-1.
- 149: Dean Roberts 0-2.
- 157: Kevin Papak 1-2.
- 165: Davon Jackson 4-1.
- 174: Haydn Kinjorski 0-2.
- 184: Ryan Clark 3-2.
- 197: Kyle Carter 1-2.
- 285: Jesse Judge 3-0.
TOP 10 TEAMS
1. Messiah (Pa.) 92.5, 2. Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) 78.0, 3. Wis.-La Crosse 74.5, 4. Wis.-Whitewater 66.5, 5. Millikin (Ill.) 65.0, 6. Ferrum (Va.) 61.5, 7. Elmhurst (Ill.) 60.0, 8. Wheaton (Ill.) 57.5, 9. Augustana (Ill.) 50.5, 10. OLIVET 50.0.
- Day two of the tournament gets started tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. CT/10 a.m. ET.