ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College wrestling team dominated host Adrian College tonight at the Merillat Sport & Fitness Center in Adrian. The Comets used three forfeits, two pins, one major decision and two decisions to post a lopsided 40-6 victory over the Bulldogs.
Final Score: Olivet 40, Adrian 6
Location: Merillat Sport & Fitness Center; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 10-7 overall, Adrian 0-15 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Olivet received forfeit victories for sophomore Christian Lawhorn at 125 pounds, freshman Haydn Kinjorski at 174 pounds and junior Ryan Clark at 184 pounds.
- At 133 pounds, junior Jared Brickley won a 7-2 decision.
- At 141 pounds, junior Dean Roberts jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the first period to claim a 13-2 major decision.
- At 149 pounds, senior Austin Kelley never trailed in an 8-4 decision.
- At 165 pounds, senior Ross Pennock wasted no time, recording a pin in only 20 seconds.
- At 197 pounds, senior Kyle Carter also had a first-period pin at one minute and 11 seconds.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Pennock's pin is the quickest in school history for the 165-pound weight class. The previous mark was 22 seconds by Ken Andrews in 2003.
- The Comets now have a 16-10 all-time record against the Bulldogs. Ironically, Adrian won the first 10 meetings, and Olivet has won 16 straight.
- The Comets are back on the mats next Friday and Saturday, Jan. 27-28, at the Pete Willson Invitational, hosted by Wheaton (Ill.) College. Friday's action starts at 11 a.m. CT, and then resumes Saturday morning at 9 a.m. CT.