ALMA, Mich. – The Olivet College wrestling team scored bonus points in five of eight bout wins to easily beat Alma College, 35-7, tonight at the Art Smith Arena in Alma.
Final Score: Olivet 35, Alma 7
Location: Art Smith Arena; Alma, Mich.
Records: Olivet 9-7 overall, Alma 7-7 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 125 pounds, senior Michael Schmidt won a 7-3 decision to start the match.
- At 133 pounds, junior Jared Brickley received a forfeit victory.
- Seniors Curtis Blackwell and Austin Kelley picked-up back-to-back major decisions by scores of 15-5 and 12-4, at 141 and 149 pounds, respectively.
- The Scots won the 157-pound bout, 3-2, with the difference being the riding time point.
- At 165 pounds, junior Davon Jackson recorded a first-period pin at the 2:01 mark.
- At 174 pounds, sophomore Tyler Grimsley allowed the first takedown but bounced back to win 7-4.
- Alma won a 14-5 major decision at 184 pounds.
- At 197 pounds, senior Kyle Carter scored a takedown late in the first period and a reversal in the third period to win 4-1.
- At 285 pounds, senior Jesse Judge wasted no time in winning his match with a pin just 57 seconds into the bout.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Olivet moved up four spots to No. 17 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association Top 25 poll released earlier today.
- Kelley is the No. 8 ranked wrestler at 149 pounds.
- Grimsley beat Taylor McPhail, who entered the match ranked No. 10 in the NWCA poll and had a team-best 16-1 record for the Scots.
- The Comets will send a team of reserve wrestlers Saturday to compete at the Manchester (Ind.) University Spartan Mat Classic. The next varsity event will be a dual match next Thursday, Jan. 19, at Adrian College. Action gets under way at 7 p.m.