Comets lose close matches to two nationally-ranked opponents
LA CROSSE, Wis. – The Olivet College wrestling team posted a 1-2 record at the 2016 University of Wis.-La Crosse/Candlewood Suites Duals inside Mitchell Hall in La Crosse, Wisconsin. The Comets started the day with a 26-18 win over Loras (Iowa) College. Olivet then fell to Wartburg (Iowa) College, 20-15, and Augsburg (Minn.) College, 22-19.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. LORAS
- Senior Michael Schmidt won a 16-0 technical fall to start the match at 125 pounds. In the bout, he scored a pair of takedowns to go along with three four-point near-falls in the opening period.
- The Duhawks surged ahead 6-5 with a pin at 133 pounds.
- The Comets answered with back-to-back pins to go up 17-6. Senior Curtis Blackwell had the first pin only 16 seconds into the second period of the 141-pound bout. Senior Austin Kelley recorded his fall two minutes into the opening period of the 149-pound bout.
- Loras got a major decision win at 157 pounds.
- Junior Davon Jackson won 7-2 at 165 pounds to double up the Duhawks, 20-10.
- Loras claimed a close 2-0 decision at 174 pounds.
- At 184 pounds, junior Ryan Clark picked-up a penalty point late in the third period to tie the bout at 6-6 and then scored a takedown with 15 seconds left in overtime for an 8-6 victory. The Duhawks were deducted a team point at the end of the bout for unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Olivet forfeited the 197-pound bout to Loras to make the score 23-18.
- Senior Jesse Judge capped the Comets' win with a 6-1 decision at 285 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. WARTBURG
- After the Knights earned a 9-4 decision at 125 pounds, the Comets won three consecutive bouts to go up 12-3.
- At 133 pounds, junior Jared Brickley used a takedown with 10 seconds left to break a 2-2 tie. He also earned the riding time point to win the bout, 5-2.
- At 141 pounds, Blackwell was winning 10-3 in the first period before turning his opponent for a pin with 43 seconds remaining.
- At 149 pounds, Kelley scored an escape and takedown in the final minute of the bout for a 6-4 victory.
- Wartburg, ranked No. 1 in the most recent National Wrestling Coaches Association Top 25 poll, responded with five consecutive wins to take a 20-12 lead. The first two wins were major decisions and the last three were minor decisions.
- Judge ended the match with a 9-4 decision at 285 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. AUGSBURG
- The No. 9 ranked Auggies won the first two bouts by identical 6-1 scores to take a 6-0 lead.
- Blackwell leveled the team score at 6-6 with his third pin of the day at 141 pounds. After allowing a takedown 12 seconds into the bout, he scored a reversal and two-point near-fall to set-up the fall at 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Augsburg earned wins in three straight matches to go back up by 10 points, 16-6.
- At 174 pounds, sophomore Tyler Grimsley jumped out to a 6-3 lead after the first period and hung on to win, 6-5.
- The Auggies responded with a pin to gain a 22-9 advantage.
- Senior Rodney Harvey won an 8-0 major decision at 197 pounds.
- Judge stayed perfect on the day by pinning his opponent with 43 seconds left in the second period of the 285-pound bout.
- The Comets will wrestle at the North Central (Ill.) College Invitational Saturday, Dec. 10.