Deweyert and Folleth earn first-team All-MIAA honors
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. – The Olivet College women's golf team placed third at the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Fall Finale Tournament, played at the Bedford Valley Country Club in Battle Creek. With the performance, the Comets also finish third in the final MIAA seasonal standings
Location: Bedford Valley Country Club; Battle Creek, Mich.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After shooting a 346 in Friday's first round, the Comets lowered their total by 32 strokes to shoot a two-day total of 660 strokes.
- Saint Mary's (Ind.) College carded a 301 in the second round to win the team title by 29 strokes over Hope, 615 (314-301)-644 (324-320). Alma College placed fourth at 668 (341-327), followed by Albion, 677 (336-341); Adrian, 696 (350-346); Trine (Ind.) University, 698 (356-342); and Calvin College, 702 (356-346).
- Taylor Kehoe was the tournament medalist with back-to-back 75s for a two-day total of 150.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomore Nicole Deweyert posted a two-day total of 156 (81-75) strokes to finish fifth in the player standings.
- Sophomore Ashley Folleth shared eighth-place in the player standings with a 161 (79-82).
- Freshman Crystal Lettinga and junior Hayley Cooper both improved their second-round scores by 11 strokes. Lettinga shot a 91 and 80 for a two-day total of 171 strokes, while Cooper had a 92 and 81 for a two-day total of 173 strokes.
- Sophomore Taylor Elley finished with a two-round total of 176 (91-85) strokes.
- Saint Mary's has captured the 2017 MIAA Championship with a six-round total of 1941 strokes. Hope was second at 1983, followed by the Comets at 2024. Alma took fourth-place at 2066.
- Deweyert and Folleth each earned a spot on the 2017 All-MIAA first-team for their cumulative stroke averages during the season. Deweyert tied for third-best average at 80.2, while Folleth tied for the fifth-best at 81.0.