NORMAL, Ill. – The Olivet College women's golf team has finished in 10th-place at the 2017 Illinois Wesleyan University Kathy Niepagan Spring Fling, played on the Ironwood Golf Club in Normal, Illinois.
Location: Ironwood Golf Club; Normal, Ill.
Par / Yardage: 72 / 5,805
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After rain stopped Friday's first round with four hole remaining, the Comets completed those holes this morning to post a 323 team score. In today's second round, Olivet had a 331 a two-round total of 654 strokes to finish four strokes ahead of 11th-place Saint Mary's (Ind.) College.
- Indiana Tech captured the team title with a 609 (300-309).
- Wiebke Schlender was the tournament medalist with a 142.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Laura Bacso was Olivet's leader with a two-day total of 158 strokes, including a 76 in the first round.
- Freshman Nicole Deweyert had a two-round total of 163 strokes.
- Sophomore Hayley Cooper shot a two-day total of 167 strokes.
- After carding an 87 in the first round, freshman Ashley Folleth had the most improvement in the second round with an 81 for a two-round total of 168 strokes.
- Freshman Taylor Elley completed her two rounds in 170 strokes.
- The three freshmen – Deweyert, Elley and Folleth – each had two birdies in today's second round. Deweyert's and Folleth's birdies came on the same holes, No. 14 and No. 16. Elley's birdies were on No. 6 and No. 17.
FINAL TEAM SCORES
1. Indiana Tech 300-309=609, 2. Washington-St. Louis (Mo.) 301-322=623, 3. Carthage (Wis.) 303-330=633, 4. St. Thomas (Minn.) 321-316-637, 5. St. Catherine (Minn.) 318-320=638, 6. Illinois Wesleyan 322-318=640, 7. Hope 305-338=643, 8. Illinois Wesleyan-B 320-326=646, 9. Huntingdon (Ala.) 314-334=648, 10. OLIVET 323-331=654, 11. Saint Mary's (Ind.) 329-329=658, 12. Wis.-Stout 326-338=664, T13. Wis.-Oshkosh 323-337=669, T13. Trine (Ind.) 327-342=669, 15. North Central (Ill.) 341-333=674, 16. Wis.-Whitewater 335-340=675, 17. Carroll (Wis.) 333-344=677, 18. Aurora (Ill.) 350-347=697, 19. Illinois College 354-347=701, 20. Wis.-Platteville 343-368=711, 21. Franklin (Ind.) 364-384=748, 22. Millikin (Ill.) 410-427=837.
- The Comets now turn their attention to the 54-hole Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association playoff to determine the league's automatic bid to the 2017 NCAA DIII Championships. The first round will be played next Saturday, April 22, at the Knollwood Country Club in Granger, Indiana.