ALMA, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team scored the final 10 points to start Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with a 68-64 win over Alma College this evening at Art Smith Arena in Alma.
Final Score: Olivet 68, Alma 64
Location: Art Smith Arena; Alma, Mich.
Records: Alma 0-3 overall, 0-1 MIAA; Olivet 2-1 overall, 1-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first quarter, the Comets led by as many as eight points after junior Shannon Dingman made a three-pointer at the 5:58 mark. The Scots responded with a 12-0 run to take a 17-13 lead. Alma then scored six of the final 10 points of the quarter to lead by six points, 23-17.
- After the Scots scored the first basket of the second quarter, Olivet went on a 5-0 run to trim the gap down to four points, 26-22. Alma quickly increased its advantage back to eight points, 30-22. The Comets countered with a 7-2 scoring spurt to cut the gap to three points, 32-29. Olivet outscored the Scots, 6-3, over the final four minutes and 12 seconds of the quarter to even the score, 35-35, at halftime.
- Alma opened the third quarter on a 13-3 scoring run to take the first double digit lead of the game, 48-38. Olivet chipped away at its deficit to trail by only three points, 50-47, with 2:51 left in the third period. The teams exchanged 3-0 runs to make the score 53-50. A three-pointer from the right sideline by freshman Grace Clark tied the game at 53-53 to start the final quarter.
- The Scots netted the first basket of the fourth quarter but another triple by Clark put Olivet on top, 57-56. Alma then went on a 7-0 run to take a 62-56 lead with 6:38 showing on the clock.
- Following an exchange of layups, a three-pointer by Dingman started the final run for the Comets. Two free throws and a basket for junior Taylor Jungel put the Comets ahead 65-64. Alma missed a three-pointer with 43 seconds remaining. Olivet brought the ball into the front court and called a timeout. Dingman then nailed a game-clinching three-pointer with nine seconds left.
FOR THE COMETS
- Dingman and Jungel both scored 13 points.
- Jungel grabbed nine rebounds and blocked four shots.
- Freshman Bridget Garter finished with 12 points, while Clark had 11.
FOR THE SCOTS
- Madison Hill scored 18 points to lead Alma.
- Madeline Barnauskas contributed 17 points.
- Emily Long led all players with 13 rebounds, while teammate Emily Eldridge had 11 rebounds.
- Olivet is now off until next Wednesday, Nov. 29, when it plays a 7:30 p.m. game at Hope College.