KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team dropped a 77-64 decision to Kalamazoo College this evening at the Anderson Athletic Center in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: Kalamazoo 77, Olivet 64
Location: Anderson Athletic Center; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 4-20 overall, 3-12 MIAA; Olivet 1-22 overall, 1-14 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets made 7-of-11 baskets, including three from behind the arc, to lead 17-11 after one quarter of play.
- Olivet stretched its lead 10 points, 32-22, at the 3:42 mark of the second quarter.
- The Hornets ended the quarter on a 9-1 run to trail by only two points, 33-31, at halftime.
- Kalamazoo scored the first basket of the third quarter, but the Comets answered with a 7-3 run to go up 40-37.
- The teams traded three-pointers and layups, leading a 45-45 tie at the 5:13 mark of the third stanza.
- Olivet led by three points, 49-46, before the Hornets made back-to-back three-pointers to take their first lead in the game, 52-49.
- The Comets split a pair of free throws to make the score 52-50 entering the fourth quarter.
- Senior Katie McKinnon made a layup 28 seconds into the final quarter to level the score at 52-52.
- The Hornets scored 11 unanswered points to take the lead for good at 63-52 with 4:30 left in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Jillian Nickels posted a team-high in points (19) and assists (seven).
- Senior Leeza Fortner added 12 points, all in the first half.
- Freshman Jazmin Hildebrand contributed eight points, while grabbing a game-high 10 rebounds.
- McKinnon had six points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Suzanne Miller led all scorers with 30 points.
- Emily Kozal chipped-in 13 points and team-best nine rebounds.
- Libby Munoz finished with 11 points.
- Olivet closes the curtain on the 2016-17 season Saturday when it plays a 3 p.m. game at Saint Mary's (Ind.) College.