OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team was overtaken by Calvin College, 62-49, tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Calvin 62, Olivet 49
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Calvin 19-4 overall, 10-4 MIAA; Olivet 1-20 overall, 1-12 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights scored the first six points of the game.
- The Comets ended the first quarter on a 7-2 run to trail by only point, 8-7, to start the second quarter.
- In the second stanza, Olivet tied the game, 10-10, at the 8:30 mark.
- Calvin scored the next basket on a three-pointer before taking its largest lead of the game, 30-21, with 2:52 left until halftime.
- The Comets scored the final six points of the quarter to make the score 30-27 at intermission.
- Senior Jillian Nickels made the first basket of the third quarter for a 30-29 score.
- The Knights then outscored 21-6 for the rest of the period to take a 51-35 lead.
- Calvin stretched its lead to 18 points twice in the fourth quarter, with the last time being 55-37 at the 8:10 mark.
- Olivet fought back and went on a 12-3 run to trim its deficit in half.
- The Knights made 4-of-6 free throws in the final minute to seal their win.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the game, Olivet shot a season-best 50.0 percent (20-of-40) from the floor.
- Senior Leeza Fortner scored a career-high 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting, while grabbing a team-high five rebounds.
- Senior T'Keyia Collins contributed 12 points.
FOR THE KNIGHTS
- Anna Timmer posted a double-double, 16 points and 11 rebounds, to lead Calvin.
- Three other starters – Lauren Goldthorpe, Bre Luurtsema and Ali Spayde – each had 12 points.
- Luurtsema also dished out nine assists.
- Olivet hosts Hope College Saturday night at 6 p.m.