OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team was on the losing end of a 65-45 score to Alma College this afternoon at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Alma 65, Olivet 45
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Alma 7-14 overall, 5-7 MIAA; Olivet 1-19 overall, 1-11 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Scots and Comets traded baskets to start the game, with Olivet's basket being a three-pointer by senior Katie McKinnon.
- Alma then led by eight points, 15-7, at the end of the first quarter.
- In the second quarter, the Scots stretched their lead to 19 points, 34-15, before a basket by senior Kali Hancock made the score 34-17 at halftime.
- In the third period, the Comets trimmed their deficit down to 13 points, 39-26, at the 5:46 mark when McKinnon made a free throw to complete a three-point play.
- Alma settled for a 19-point advantage, 47-28, at the end of the third stanza.
- The Scots pushed their lead to as many as 24 points, 55-31, with 6:27 left in the game.
- Olivet closed the gap to 18 points before an Alma basket in the final minute capped the scoring.
FOR THE COMETS
- McKinnon led Olivet with 16 points on 5-of-8 shooting from the floor, including 2-of-2 from behind the arc, and 4-of-6 free throws.
- Senior Jillian Nickels finished with 11 points, while grabbing a team-best eight rebounds.
FOR THE SCOTS
- Tara Padgett came off the bench to lead four Alma players in double figure scoring with 14 points.
- Skylr Goodman chipped-in 12 points, while Kelsey Wolffis and Chloee King added 11 and 10, respectively.
- Wolffis pulled down a game-high nine rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Freshmen Brittany McDuffie and Megan Sysko made their first collegiate start. McDuffie recorded two rebounds and one steal in 24 minutes, while Sysko had an assist and a steal in 11 minutes.
- Olivet will play both games next week at home. On Wednesday, the Comets will host Calvin College at 7:30 p.m., and on Saturday, they will face Hope College at 6 p.m.