DUBUQUE, Iowa – The Olivet College men's volleyball team ended the 2017 season with a four-set loss to Loras College this afternoon at Lillis Court in Dubuque, Iowa.
Final Score: Loras def. Olivet 25-15, 16-25, 25-23, 25-11
Location: Lillis Court; Dubuque, Iowa
Records: Loras 9-15 overall, 6-13 MCVL; Olivet 3-21 overall, 0-19 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Olivet led by a point on three occasions early in the first set. After the last time at 7-6, Loras scored four straight points to go up 10-7. The Duhawks did not give up the lead for the rest of the set.
- The only deficit the Comets had in the second set was 1-0. The nine-point margin of victory tied for Olivet's largest lead in the set.
- Loras held a 10-6 lead in the second set. The Comets battled back with five consecutive points to go up 11-10. The teams alternated points and mini 2-0 scoring runs to create many tied scores, with the last one being 23-23. A Duhawk kill and solo block provided the winning set points.
- In the fourth set, Loras put 11 of the first 13 points on the scoreboard. Olivet was never able to bounce back from the deficit.
FOR THE COMETS
- Freshman Trent Robinson finished with 10 kills, followed by freshman Brock Pringle with nine and senior Luke DeWitt with eight.
- DeWitt also recorded five blocks, while Robinson had four.
- Freshman Mathew Caamal collected 19 set assists.
- Junior Rhett Pringle topped the defense with 13 digs.
FOR THE DUHAWKS
- Greg Kinney posted a match-high 14 kills and 13 digs.
- Aaron Miller had 11 kills and a team-best .625 attack percentage.
- Alfredo Lopez notched 31 set assists.
BEYOND THE NUMBERS
- Robinson finishes 2017 with a single-season school record 201 kills, .228 attack percentage and 16 service aces.
- Caamal broke the single-season record for set assists with 430.
- DeWitt set a new single-season benchmark with 62 block assists and 75 total blocks.