CINCINNATI, Ohio – The Olivet College men's volleyball team dropped a three-set match to Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League Eastern Division foe Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) University tonight at the Harrington Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Final Score: Mount St. Joseph def. Olivet 25-19, 25-16, 25-13
Location: Harrington Center; Cincinnati, Ohio
Records: Mount St. Joseph 5-1 overall, 1-0 MCVL; Olivet 1-3 overall, 0-2 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, the Lions held a six-point lead, 13-7. Olivet battled back to level the score at 15-15. MSJ scored the next three points to take an 18-15 lead, which it did not relinquish for the rest of the set.
- In the second set, the Comets raced out to a 6-3 lead. The Lions came back to gain an 8-7 lead. After Olivet tied the set 9-9, MSJ went on a 3-0 run to go up 12-9. Behind the service of freshman Mathew Caamal, the Comets scored four consecutive points for a 13-12 advantage. The Lions responded with their own 4-0 run for a 16-13 lead, which it held for the rest of the set.
- The teams traded the first six points of the third set. After a 3-3 deadlock, MSJ put six straight points on the scoreboard. Olivet was never able to recover from that deficit.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Luke DeWitt recorded seven kills, with two attack errors on 18 attempts for a team-best .278 hitting percentage.
- Freshman Andrew McCormick finished with six kills.
- Freshman Trent Robinson had four kills and four blocks (two solo and two assisted).
- Caamal registered 15 set assists.
- Junior Talen Schallhorn topped the defense with five digs.
FOR THE LIONS
- Alex Vohland slammed down 10 kills and served five aces.
- Brett Cooper was next with nine kills and four aces.
- Darien Bradley recorded eight kills and a team-leading seven digs.
- Nathan Herdemen dished out 33 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Mount St. Joseph received votes in this week's American Volleyball Coaches Association poll.
- Due to the new scheduling format for the MCVL, the Comets will face the Lions in Olivet on Saturday, Feb. 18. The new format features teams playing in-division opponents both at home and on the road, and out-of-division foes only once.
- Olivet is off until Wednesday, Feb. 15, when it welcomes Adrian College to The Cutler Event Center for a 7 p.m. match.