GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's and women's swimming & diving teams opened the 2017-18 season by participating in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Relays hosted by Calvin College and inside the Venema Aquatic Center in Grand Rapids.
FOR THE MEN
- The 200-yard backstroke team of Eric Wood, Tony Farmer, Bryan Plesner and Ian Bishop placed third at 1:53.21.
- The 500-yard freestyle relay team of Kolton Epplett, Bishop, Zach Meharg and Wood finished fourth at 4:32.64.
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Wood, Eplett, Thomas Decker and Bishop was fourth at 1:35.39.
FOR THE WOMEN
- The 500-yard freestyle team of Delaney Graham, Abby Campbell, Emma Cole and Ana Paula Montes de Oca finished third at 5:07.34.
QUOTE FROM HEAD COACH ROB BROWNELL
- "Tonight the Comet swimmers had a great showing at the MIAA relays. The returning swimmers posted times considerably faster from last year at this meet! The freshmen came to swim, with many posting lifetime bests in different events. Overall as a team, we placed higher than last year in almost every event, and blew away relay times from last year!
- "When it is the first meet of the year, you just try to make sure you are better than the same point last year, and tonight we were able to do that. Overall it was a win for the team, but there is still A LOT of work to do."
- The placement in the relays mentioned is among just the "A" relays for each school.
- The Comets return to the pool on Sunday, Nov. 5, for a double dual meet at Hillsdale College. The women will compete against Hillsdale and Notre Dame College (Ohio), while the men will compete against only Notre Dame. Action gets under way at 1 p.m.