OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team suffered a 5-0 loss to Calvin College this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Knights entered the game ranked No. 1 in the United Soccer Coaches poll and No. 2 in the D3soccer.com poll.
Final Score: Calvin 5, Olivet 0
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Calvin 16-0-1 overall, 12-0-1 MIAA; Olivet 1-12-5 overall, 0-8-5 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets had a couple chances to put a shot in the net in the first half. Junior Alistair Law and freshman Joshua Rosendale both had a shot sail over the crossbar. Law also had a header saved by the goalkeeper in the 28th minute.
- Meanwhile, the Knights dented the scoreboard twice in the first half. The first came in the 22nd minute and the second came almost 11 minutes later.
- In the second half, senior Evan Shirkey had a shot go just left of the goal.
- Calvin scored three goals in the second half. The first two came in a 65-second span in the 70th and 71st minutes of play. The last goal was scored with 7:15 remaining in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with six shots.
- Law and Rosendale each tallied two shots.
- Freshman Brendan Morse played all 90 minutes in goal and collected six saves.
FOR THE KNIGHTS
- Lucas Albrecht, Jacob Lyon, Bobby McCaw, Hunter Olson and Jacob Witte all scored a goal.
- McCaw, Ian Adams, Matt Hinds, Mitch Stark and Dillon Weldy all had an assist.
- Calvin recorded 22 total shot attempts, including a team-best six for McCaw.
- Nate Van Ryn provided the clean sheet in net.
- Olivet concludes its season Saturday with a home game against Kalamazoo College at noon. Before the game, the Comets will recognizes its six seniors who will be wearing the red and white for the final time. In addition, it is a soccer doubleheader, as the Olivet women will also face the Hornets immediately following the men's game.