OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team battled to a 4-4 double overtime time with Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association rival Trine (Ind.) University this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 4, Trine 4 (2OT)
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-13-2 overall, 3-6-2 MIAA; Trine 0-14-3, 0-11-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Thunder scored three minutes and 13 seconds into the game.
- Senior Gregory Petty scored the tying goal in the 11th minute.
- Trine added goals in the 18th and 42nd minutes to take a 3-1 halftime lead.
- Sophomore Matthew Henderson found the back of the net off a pass from freshman Courtney Skerritt to make the score 3-2 in the 55th minute.
- The Thunder extended their lead back to two, 4-2, in the 69th minute.
- Sophomore David Magallon scored twice in a span of 56 seconds at the 87:18 and 88:14 marks to send the game to overtime. His first goal was on a penalty kick, and senior Michael Brait had the helper on the second.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet took nine shots in the game.
- Petty led the way with three.
- Magallon and junior Sam Jones had two apiece.
- Junior Nathan Weeks made three saves.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Kyle Wainscott had two goals along with five shots for Trine.
- Bill Wilson and Mason Pelphrey each had a goal.
- William Macedo and Ian Jindrich split time in goal.
- The Comets pull the curtain on the 2016 season next week with a pair of road games. On Wednesday, Olivet faces Adrian College and on Saturday, they play Hope College. Both games have a 7 p.m. start time.