OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team came up short against Elmhurst (Ill.) College, 81-71, in a non-conference contest this evening at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Elmhurst 81, Olivet 71
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 2-3 overall, Elmhurst 3-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bluejays led by seven points on two occasions, with the last time being 19-12 at the 14:11 mark. The Comets went on a 9-2 run over the next four and one-half minutes to level the score at 21-21. Elmhurst then took a six-point lead, 31-25. Olivet chipped away at its deficit and were down only one point, 33-32, with 4:44 left before halftime. The Bluejays put the next seven points on the scoreboard to extend its lead to eight points, 40-32. The Comets closed the half on a 7-2 run to trail by just three points, 42-39, at the break.
- Olivet continued its run in the second half to take its first lead of the game, 44-43. The Comets pushed their lead to five points twice, 51-46 and 53-48. Elmhurst netted 10 of the next 12 points to take the lead back, 58-55. The teams traded baskets to make the score 63-58 at the 9:10 mark. Olivet scored six consecutive points over the next 65 seconds to grab the lead back, 64-63.
- The Bluejays answered with a 9-4 run to go ahead by a 72-68 score. A three-pointer with 4:25 left made the score 72-71. That triple accounted for the Comets' final points of the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Jalen Adams scored a game-high 28 points, grabbed a team-leading 10 rebounds and dished out a team-best five assists.
- Junior Diangelo Carlton joined him in double figures with 16 points.
FOR THE BLUEJAYS
- Four starters scored in double figures.
- Lance Gardner led the way with 18 points, followed by Ryan Patton with 16, and Jeremy Ireland and Jake Rhode with 14 apiece.
- Ireland pulled down a game-high 17 rebounds.
- The Comets are now off until Tuesday, Dec. 12, when it plays a 7 p.m. game at Spring Arbor University.