KALAMAZOO, Mich. – Three players scored in double figures to help the Olivet College men's basketball team beat Illinois Institute of Technology, 94-79, today at the Kalamazoo College Hornet Invitational and at the Anderson Athletic Center in Kalamazoo. Senior Jalen Adams led all players with 33 points, junior Tracy Edmond posted a double-double with 22 points and 11 assists, and junior Chase Brocker scored a career-high 15 points.
Final Score: Olivet 94, Illinois Tech 79
Location: Anderson Athletic Center; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Olivet 2-2 overall, Illinois Tech 4-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, the Comets held a two-point lead, 16-14, at the 15:01 mark. Olivet then went on a 19-2 run to extend its lead to 19 points, 35-16, with 9:35 left. The Comets led 56-31 at halftime, with the 25-point margin matching their largest lead. In the opening 20 minutes of play, Olivet made 23-of-33 (69.7 percent) baskets, including 7-of-10 from three-point range, and 3-of-4 free throws. The Scarlet Hawks made eight total baskets, with three from behind the arc, and 12 free throws.
- Illinois Tech scored the first five points of the second half to make the score, 56-36. The Comets stretched their lead to as many as 26 points on two occasions, with the last time being 65-39. The Scarlet Hawks would get as close as 14 points in the final minute of the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the game, Olivet shot 59.7 percent (37-of-62) from the floor. The Comets also made 10 three-pointers and 10 free throwns.
- Adams made 13-of-17 baskets, including three triples, and 4-of-4 free throws for his game-high 33 points.
- Edmond shot 9-of-15 from the floor and 3-of-6 from the charity stripe for his 22 points. He also recorded a team-best three steals.
- Brocker drained 6-of-8 baskets, with three from behind the arc.
FOR THE SCARLET HAWKS
- Illinois Tech shot 31.4 percent (22-of-70) from the floor, with 10 three-pointers. The Scarlet Hawks were 25-of-31 from the free throw line.
- Four players reached double digits in the scoring column, led by Jake Diorgio's 21. Jake Bruns came off the bench to score 16. Max Hisatake and Parker Jonus added 14 and 11 points, respectively.
- Hisatake grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds, six off the offensive glass and six off the defensive glass.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game was the third all-time meeting between the teams on the basketball court. Olivet has now won all three games, including 108-58 on Dec. 11, 2013, and 95-48 on Dec. 9, 2012.
- Brocker's previous scoring high was 13 points on Dec. 17, 2015, against Capital (Ohio) University.
- The Comets welcome the Elmhurst (Ill.) College Bluejays to The Cutler Event Center for a 7 p.m. game Wednesday night.