BIG RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team fell to NCAA Division II foe Ferris State University, 99-84, this afternoon at Jim Wink Arena in Big Rapids.
Final Score: Ferris State 99, Olivet 84
Location: Jim Wink Arena; Big Rapids, Mich.
Records: Olivet 1-1 overall, Ferris State 7-0 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, the Comets led by as many as four points, 10-6, after making five of their first seven shots. The Bulldogs answered with a 13-4 run to go up, 19-14. Olivet got two tip-in baskets to trim its deficit down to a single point, 19-18. Ferris State then went on a 6-0 run to gain a 25-18 lead at the 11:22 mark.
- Olivet scored two straight baskets to cut the gap to three points, 25-22. The Bulldogs pushed their lead back to seven points, 33-26. The Comets countered with a 5-0 spurt to make the score 33-31 with 7:26 left before halftime. After Ferris went up by six points, senior Eldridge Mason and junior Tracy Edmond each made a three-pointer to tie the game at 37-37.
- The Bulldogs answered with their own 6-0 run for a 43-37 advantage. Another 6-0 Comet run leveled the score at 43-43 at the 2:01 mark. The teams exchanged three-pointers to square up the score one more time, 46-46. Ferris made two free throws before a three-pointer by Mason put Olivet ahead, 49-48, at halftime.
- Olivet scored the first basket of the second half but a three-pointer for the Bulldogs knotted the score at 51-51. Trading two-pointers for three-pointers, Ferris went ahead 57-56. The Comets grabbed the lead back, 59-57, on a three-pointer by senior Aaron Washington. Two fast-break baskets and free throw put the Bulldogs back on top by three points, 62-59. Another Washington triple tied the game at 62-62.
- Another 5-0 run helped Ferris go up, 67-62. Dunks by senior Jalen Adams and Sirafino Davis cut Olivet's deficit back to a single point, 67-66. The Bulldogs answered with a 9-3 run to match their largest lead of the game, 76-69, at the 8:21 mark.
- Ferris led by seven points, 78-71, before the Comets used a basket and two free throws to make the score 78-75. Olivet would not get any closer for the rest of the game. The Bulldogs' 15-point margin of victory was their largest lead in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Adams led all players with his second straight double-double, scoring 32 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.
- Edmond finished with 16 points to go along with a team-best seven assists.
- Mason and Washington joined them in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Drew Cushingberry led Ferris with 25 points, including a game-high five baskets from behind the arc.
- Zach Hankins posted a double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds.
- Noah King chipped-in 15 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game was the 23rd all-time meeting, and first since Nov. 22, 2001, between the Bulldogs and Comets. Olivet's 84 points scored is the second-most scored against Ferris. The only other time the Comets scored more was 85 on Dec. 14, 2002.
- Olivet participates in the Kalamazoo College Hornet Invitational Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 25-26. The Comets face John Carroll (Ohio) University Saturday and Illinois Institute of Technology Sunday afternoon. Both games tip-off at 3 p.m.