ANGOLA, Ind. – The Olivet College men's basketball team allowed a second-half lead to evaporate, as Trine (Ind.) University rallied past the Comets, 71-66, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest tonight at Hershey Hall in Angola, Indiana.
Final Score: Trine 71, Olivet 66
Location: Hershey Hall; Angola, Ind.
Records: Olivet 9-15 overall, 5-8 MIAA; Trine 13-11 overall, 8-5 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team led by more than three points in the first five minutes and 19 seconds.
- With the score knotted at 10-10, the Comets went ahead by six points, 16-10, on back-to-back three-pointers by seniors Eric Ewing and Aaron Washington.
- Olivet stretched its lead to as many 12 points on two occasions in the first half. The last time was 35-23 after senior Kevin Woodson made the Comets' ninth three-pointer of the opening half.
- At halftime, Olivet led by 11 points, 37-26.
- The Thunder methodically chipped away at its deficit and took the lead for the first time, 58-57, at the 6:59 mark.
- After the Comets missed a game-tying free throw, Trine surged ahead by six points on a three-pointer and layup.
- Ewing cut the deficit in half with layup and free throw with 5:06 left in the game.
- The teams traded baskets and free throws over the three and one-half minute before a Woodson three-pointer made the score 67-66 at the 1:35 mark.
- Trine made 4-of-6 free throws in the final 25 seconds to seal the win.
FOR THE COMETS
- Ewing finished with 25 points, including 6-of-8 shooting from three-point range. He also grabbed a game-high nine rebounds.
- Woodson added 15 points and three steals.
- Senior Zach Walker scored 10 points.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Will Dixon had a game-high 27 points.
- Kyle Daudson chipped-in 15 points.
- Adison Daub had 10 points.
- Dodson and Ellis Cummings pulled down eight rebounds apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ewing now has 494 points this season, which ranks fifth all-time at Olivet. He needs only four points to move into fourth-place. Ewing's 409 field goal attempts is third all-time for a season.
- Olivet travels to play Alma College Saturday for its regular-season finale at 5 p.m.