OLIVET, Mich. – Senior Eric Ewing scored a game-high 29 points in his final home inside The Cutler Event Center, as the Olivet College men's basketball lost an 89-84 decision to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Albion College.
Final Score: Albion 89, Olivet 84
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 9-14 overall, 5-7 MIAA; Albion 9-14 overall, 6-6 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets scored the first seven points of the game.
- The Britons fought back with a 10-0 run over the next three minutes.
- Olivet tied the game at 10-10 on a three-pointer by senior Zach Walker.
- After that, there were four more tied scores with the last time being 20-20.
- The Comets then took a pair of five-point leads, 25-20 and 30-25.
- Albion came back to tie the game twice, 32-32 and 34-34.
- Olivet ended the opening half on a 7-1 scoring spurt to take a 41-35 lead at the break.
- The Comets continued the run in the opening five minute of second half, building their lead to as many as 18 points, 57-39.
- The Britons chipped away at their deficit and took a 71-70 lead at the 3:49 mark.
- Ewing had a three-pointer and tip-in basket sandwiched around two Albion free throws to put Olivet ahead by two points, 75-73.
- The Britons seized a two-point lead on a trey and free throw, 79-77, with 1:06 left.
- After Ewing tied the game, Albion took the lead for good on a layup.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the game, Olivet made 29-of-64 baskets (45.3 percent), including 13-of-29 (44.8 percent) from three-point range, and 13-of-20 free throws (65.0 percent).
- Ewing was 10-of-24, with 3-of-6 on three-pointers, and 6-of-7 from the charity stripe for his 29 points. He also registered a team-high seven rebounds.
- Senior Aaron Washington contributed 12 points.
- Walker finished with a double-double, 10 points and 10 assists.
FOR THE BRITONS
- For the game, Albion shot 52.3 percent (23-of-44) from the floor, including 43.5 percent (10-of-23) from behind the arc, and 82.5 percent (33-of-40) from the charity stripe.
- Corey Wheeler led the Britons with 19 points.
- Darius Branch scored 17 points, including a perfect 11-of-11 from the free throw line.
- Dylan Bennett and Aquavius Burks had 11 points apiece.
- Burks grabbed a game-best 13 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With his 29 points, Ewing now leads the MIAA in scoring at 20.4 points per game. He has scored 469 points this season, which is 10th all-time on the single-season ledger at Olivet.
- Olivet will end its regular season schedule next week with a pair of road games. The first is Wednesday night against Trine (Ind.) University at 7:30 p.m., and the second is Saturday afternoon versus Alma College at 5 p.m.