OLIVET, Mich. – Senior Aaron Washington broke the single-season school record for three-pointers, but the Olivet College men's basketball fell to Calvin College, 83-70, tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. Washington now has 66 three-pointers to break the previous record of 64 by Brandon Way during the 2007-08 season.
Final Score: Calvin 83, Olivet 70
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 8-13 overall, 4-6 MIAA; Calvin 12-9 overall, 7-3 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights jumped out to a pair of seven-point leads, with the last time being 17-10, at the 15:10 mark.
- The Comets responded with a 15-0 run over the next six minutes to take a 25-17 lead.
- Calvin answered by scoring 12 straight points in a four minute and 39 second span to go ahead 29-25 at the 4:32 mark.
- Olivet battled back and took the lead back at 35-33 on a fast-break layup by senior R.J. Haas with 2:16 left before halftime.
- Those would be the Comets' final points of the half, as the Knights led by four points, 39-35, at the intermission.
- In the second half, Calvin stretched its lead to 18 points twice.
- After the last time at 64-46 with 11:11 showing on the clock, Olivet went on a 14-0 run to trim its deficit to four points.
- The Comets got as close as two points, 67-65, after senior Kevin Woodson made a free throw to complete a three-point play with 6:27 remaining in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Eric Ewing scored 20 points before fouling out of the game.
- Washington finished with 17 points, including five from three-point range.
- Sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis grabbed a team-best seven rebounds.
FOR THE KNIGHTS
- Four Calvin starters and one bench player scored in double figures.
- Michael Wilks led the way with 18 points, followed by Mike Siegel (16), Tony DeWitte (15), Cam Denney (11) and Tony Canonie (10).
- Denney also had 10 rebounds and 10 assists for a triple double.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Washington has 163 three-point attempts this season, which is third all-time. The record is 187 by Way in 2007-08.
- Olivet will play three of its final four regular season games on the road. The first is next Wednesday, Feb. 8, at Kalamazoo, and will tip-off at 8 p.m.